Star Livery Barn

Started by csmyth, April 12, 2006, 10:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csmyth

Hi , My name is Carol Peery Smyth and I found this card in my fathers wallet he had carried it with him for over 40 years. The card is for my grandfathers livery stable which was opposite the Howard National Bank I know it was in very early 1900 as my dad was born in 1910 in California so had to be before then. My father died when I was 10 in 1949 he was a jockey and rode race horses in Oregon and California. I don't know how long my granfather lived in Howard but thought the card was pretty cool and have got it framed with some of my dads things. Heck I might still have relatives in Howard I would love to hear from anyone that might remeber them or have pictures with the Livery Stable in them.  I love this site and am so glad people are sharing memories with others.  Thanks, Carol

W. Gray

Pending anyone from Howard, responding I am going to jump in from Colorado. Maybe someone from Howard can add some more and provide a contact for the museum.

The Howard National Bank was originally located on the northeast corner of Washington and Wabash where the old bank building is now. That bank now operates a block south on the southwest corner of Wabash and Randolph across from the First National Bank.

If the livery's location was directly opposite from Howard National Bank as the card says, it would have been right next to the former first courthouse, which by the 1900s seems to be a hardware store rebuilt from a disastrous fire.

A Phoenix Livery, Feed and Sale Stable was located northwest of the courthouse in 1881.

The Elk County history book shows two livery stables as advertising in one of the Howard newspapers in 1903 but does not name them. The book also says that at one time there was a livery stable with the name Hotel de Horse.

According to the book, the first telephone service started around 1905 so the time must have been between 1905 and 1910 since W. Peery's livery had a telephone.

If the Wabash Street museum does not have anything on the livery stable, I am sure they would appreciate a photocopy of what you have.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

Well, I have never heard of it or read anything about it.  However; since the card says right across from the Howard National Bank and if there was a stable northwest of the bank, that could possibly mean, right across from the bank.

Again, when I can get started on my research again, (possibly this fall), I can watch for that name and see if I see any advertisements or any mention of the livery.

A contact for the museum would be Lynn Perkins, 620-374-2142.  You have to leave a message on his answering machine as he is in and out of his office.  He is a retired attorney.

W. Gray

I was looking for something else, but I found a January 9, 1903, advertisement in the Howard Courant for the Star Livery Stable owned by someone other than a Peery.

The Star Livery Barn across from the bank may have came earlier or later.

It advertises "First Class Livery" with "Omnibus to All Trains" and "Stylish Turnouts."

"Rigs With or Without Drivers. Horses Boarded by Day or Week. Your Patronage Solicited."

Located northwest of court house and owned by Johnson & Parsons, Howard, Kansas.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Jo McDonald

As a source of information on things such as this has anyone thought of talking to  Elwood Miller...Agnes Miller...Margaret Gragg...Glenn Miller or Viola Chancellor...Dennis and Irma Crisp?   All of these wonderful Howardites are still very alert - and knowledgeable.  Dennis and Irma have a computer but may not be familiar with this web site  but I don't think any of the others have access to the computer - but a good ole' heart to heart talk would probably produce a wealth of information.  Might be worth a try and I know from past experienmce that they can provide some very enjoyable "visits", and you would renew their faith that they are still "needed".
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Teresa

Quote from: Jo McDonald on July 16, 2006, 08:35:41 PM
As a source of information on things such as this has anyone thought of talking to  Elwood Miller...Agnes Miller...Margaret Gragg...Glenn Miller or Viola Chancellor...Dennis and Irma Crisp?   Might be worth a try and I know from past experienmce that they can provide some very enjoyable "visits", and you would renew their faith that they are still "needed".

Good idea mama..........
Thanks...

**(((((( that is why I keep asking you to post)))
so you will know you are still needed..  8)

*laughing ROTF*

I love you...  :-*

(((walking off still chuckling at myself)))
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

My Wichita daughter is wondering if this Star Livery Barn might have been a part of the stagecoach route from Emporia to Howard a long time ago?

genealogynut

Right now, I do not have an answer for your question.  We  looked in the Elk County History book, and the only thing we found regarding stagecoaches was on page 50.  But I am guessing that the stage lines ran  somewhere in the 1870's- 1880's time period.  As the railroad came approximately in the 1880's.  But as I browse through the old newspapers, if I should see something pertaining to that, I will post it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk