Garden Info

Started by Tobina+1, March 14, 2008, 03:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

From the National Gardening Association website:
http://www.garden.org/subchannels/care/techniques?q=show&id=1376

When to Plant Vegetables
by National Gardening Association Editors

By keeping one eye on the signals nature is sending, you can plant your vegetable garden according to nature's calendar.

If you live in the North were crocus are common, you can time your seed sowing to their their bloom: When you see the flowers, plant the following as seeds outside in your garden: broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, garlic, kale, kohlrabi, onion sets and seeds, peas, potatoes, radish, rutabaga, shallots, spinach, and turnip. Of course these signals don't work if you live where frosts in winter are rare or light, such as in much of coastal California, Phoenix, and along the Gulf Coast and south Florida. In those regions, plant these cool-loving crops in October.

These early plants may be ready to go in while your garden is still cold and wet, before the soil is ready to be worked. One way to tell is to step onto the bare garden soil. If your footprint looks wet and shiny, wait. Another way to test is to squeeze a handful of soil into a ball and set it on ground. Poke it with your finger. If it crumbles, it's okay to plant. If it clings together in a hard ball, wait.

When tulips, daffodils, and maple trees blossom, you can plant beets and Swiss chard by seed. They can take a light frost or two, but not as much as the crops listed above.

When apple trees, lilacs, and late tulips are in bloom, you can plant the following seeds: bush beans, sweet corn, pumpkin, and squash. These crops like summer heat, but can germinate and grow in relatively cool soils.

When the tall, bearded iris bloom and apple blossoms have fallen and summer has arrived, plant seeds outdoors for pole beans, lima beans, cantaloupes, cucumbers, eggplants, peppers, and tomatoes. These are the true heat lovers.

??? ???
Now my question is... what's a crocus and when do I plant that???   ;)

sixdogsmom

oops! Crocus are planted in the fall! LOLOL!! ;D
Edie

Wilma

Crocus is a small flower that comes up and blooms in the snow.  It doesn't have to have the snow.  It just isn't bothered by it.  Mine have been blooming for about 2 weeks now.  Makes the trip to the mail box more interesting.

Ms Bear

They are bulbs, and are the first flowers to bloom even here in sunny Texas.

Tobina+1

I know my dad has already started his "pots" (we tease him about the setup in the basement)... with veggies, of course.  I think he's started tomato seeds and maybe some sweet potato seeds, too.  I think he does that because the plants are easier to grow in the garden vs seeds.  And he can get veggies earlier! 

Lookatmeknow!!

Ok. Tobina you had the right idea about spring break.  I was thinking that was how I was going to be spending my break, starting my gardens getting them ready.  But mother nature had different plans.  I guess that when it dries up, I will get things started.  Your dad is probably right about starting his plants inside.  That might be what I do this week.  The kids and I might just get some soil and get the plants started.  I don't think that it is to cold to keep them outside, do you?  Does anyone know?  I am not that good of a gardener.  But I do love it.  I just keep trying and one of these days I will get one right.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Devyn-Leann

Angie, I started okra and tomatoes seeds in gallon milk jug containers. They are in my dining room in front of the window. I've been setting them out on the deck when the sun is shining. And for a bit yesterday when it was raining. Might try that....

Tobina+1

I think my dad uses peat pots.  You just poke a seed in the top and water it.  As it gets wetter it expands, I think.  He keeps them under lights in the basement (hee, hee), and then as they start growing, he'll put them by the windows upstairs.  As it gets warmer outside, he puts them out to get more sun and warmth.  I think there is a plastic tray with a lid that helps keep the warmth and moisture in when they're seeds.  But sounds like Devyn's milk jugs is a great idea, too!  Maybe a way to use some of those un-recyclable plastic containers?

Devyn-Leann

Tobina, I bought a tray like what your dad has yesterday at the Dollar Store in Eureka. It was $3.00. Pretty nifty. I also planted herbs last night; lavender, thyme, and oregano.

I also checked on the things I'd planted in the milk jugs and I've got little green sprouts in both containers!! I was SO excited!  :D

Lookatmeknow!!

Devyn I am jealous.  I can't wait to plant stuff.  I just have to get the stuff that I need, and you know what, I just don't have the time this week.  I do have the milk jugs.  I just might try that.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk