Better Fill up today

Started by frawin, February 28, 2008, 03:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Wilma,

For 31 years, the Caribou have been saying the same thing about the Alaska Pipeline.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Teresa,

The last time a bill was defeated in Congress, the bill specified that drill rigs would have to be limited to a total of 2,000 acres.

Oil companies said it would have to be more than 2,000 for them to fully drill the area but I don't know the figure they were proposing.

Angled drilling is supposed to be used to limit the amount of space needed.

ANWR has 19,000,000 acres.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Teresa, I am not going to tell you that there is no risk at all, because there is always a risk when working with men, machinery and the enviroment(Weather). I will tell you that the Major oil companies go to every length to protect the enviroment and if a problem does occur they do everything possible to minimize the damage. In comparison to the huge vastness of the ANWR the amount of land that the drilling rigs will use will be miniscule and after the wells are drilled most of the area where the rig was will be restored to its original state. The area where the remaining production wellhead is will be very small . I think we will drill in the ANWR someday and in the not to distant future, but before that can happen there will have to be a big change in politics in Washington.
Frank

frawin

Waldo, the word is Horizontal drilling, which has been very successful in West Texas and other areas of deeper drilling. 2000 acres that wouldn't be enough to hold all of the port a potties they would need.
Frank

frawin

Summary of Weekly Petroleum Data for the Week Ending May 30, 2008

U.S. crude oil refinery inputs averaged nearly 15.5 million barrels per day
during the week ending May 30, up 183 thousand barrels per day from the previous
week's average. Refineries operated at 89.7 percent of their operable capacity
last week. Gasoline production moved higher compared to the previous week,
averaging 9.1 million barrels per day. Distillate fuel production increased last
week, averaging 4.5 million barrels per day.

U.S. crude oil imports averaged about 9.8 million barrels per day last week, up
827 thousand barrels per day from the previous week. Over the last four weeks,
crude oil imports have averaged nearly 9.5 million barrels per day, 813 thousand
barrels per day below the same four-week period last year. Total motor gasoline
imports (including both finished gasoline and gasoline blending components) last
week averaged 1.3 million barrels per day. Distillate fuel imports averaged 211
thousand barrels per day last week.

U.S. commercial crude oil inventories (excluding those in the Strategic
Petroleum Reserve) decreased by 4.8 million barrels from the previous week. At
306.8 million barrels, U.S. crude oil inventories are in the lower half of the
average range for this time of year. Total motor gasoline inventories increased
by 2.9 million barrels last week, and are in the lower half of the average
range. Both finished gasoline inventories and gasoline blending components
inventories increased last week. Distillate fuel inventories increased by 2.3
million barrels, and are in the lower half of the average range for this time of
year. Propane/propylene inventories increased by 2.3 million barrels last week
but remain near the bottom of the average range. Total commercial petroleum
inventories increased by 0.2 million barrels last week, and are in the lower
half of the average range for this time of year.

Total products supplied over the last four-week period has averaged nearly 20.4
million barrels per day, down by 1.1 percent compared to the similar period last
year. Over the last four weeks, motor gasoline demand has averaged 9.3 million
barrels per day, down by 1.4 percent from the same period last year. Distillate
fuel demand has averaged 4.1 million barrels per day over the last four weeks,
up 1.6 percent from the same period last year. Jet fuel demand is 0.3 percent
higher over the last four weeks compared to the same four-week period last year.

The tables that follow display the latest U.S. Petroleum Balance Sheet and the
most recent 4 weeks of Weekly Petroleum Status Report data. 

Table 1.  U.S. Petroleum Balance Sheet, 4 Weeks Ending 05/30/2008
                                                                     Cumulative
                                    Four Week Averages             Daily Averages
Petroleum Supply                          Ending            %          150 Days      %
(Thousand Barrels per Day)           05/30/08  05/30/07    Change     2008    2007    Chg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crude Oil Supply
Domestic Production (1)                  5,110     5,240      -2.5   5,111   5,196    -1.6
Net Imports (Incl SPR) (2)               9,453    10,256      -7.8   9,685   9,999    -3.1
   Gross Imports (Excl SPR)              9,479    10,292      -7.9   9,708  10,023    -3.1
   SPR Imports                               0         0       --        0       0     --
   Exports                                  26        36     -27.8      23      24    -4.2
SPR Stocks W/D or Added                    -99       -28       --      -50     -11     --
Other Stocks W/D or Added                  673      -354       --     -111    -238     --
Product Supplied and Losses                  0         0       --        0       0     --
Unaccounted-for Crude Oil (3)               93       255       --       76     -13     --

Crude Oil Input to Refineries           15,229    15,369      -0.9  14,712  14,934    -1.5

Teresa

whew...THAT will take some digesting.. lol

Hope I'm smart enough to go in and read it again and try to understand a part of it.

Thanks.. :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

flo

I don't think they are lined up so you have to count over
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

W. Gray

Frank,

A diagram I saw looked like a bunch of roto rooter snakes going out all over the place.

Diane Amberg

I keep hearing about the arguments of Florida residents about the Atlantic prospects .  Some argue it will hurt the tourist trade, some are concerned about the marine impact.  I've never seen it split along party lines like that chart.  I keep hearing about lots of oil shale in Wyoming, Montana and to some extent Colorado.  I'll bet residents there would love to get  income from it like Alaska residents do.  I also would like to see ANWR left in reserve, but not because of damage.  I've been up there and was well pleased with how Alaska is a pretty good steward of their land. I've seen the pipeline and frankly, the softening permafrost is more of a problem. The animals don't seem to pay much attention to it. Alaskans fuss about their politicians (and the bridge to nowhere project) just like we do. They are more worried about depleting fish, such as Pollack. They do know what they have and try to manage it well.  I've been to Prince William Sound and Cordova and the area where the Exxon Valdez spill was. Nature has recovered well, but there are still areas where there is evidence of oily rocks.  I'm more concerned about the Pebble gold mine action.

W. Gray

It is my understanding the US Congress passed a bill prohibiting drilling up to 125 miles off shore from Florida.

It is also my understanding that the Chinese are drilling oil 100 miles off shore from Florida--for Cuba.

Colorado has a lot of oil shale (ie trillions of tons) on the west slope but there seems to be some discussion as to whether this oil has the same "nutritional" value as oil pumped out of the ground.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk