Girl Scouts

Started by W. Gray, February 18, 2008, 09:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

A Girl Scout unit in the Denver area set up a stand in front of King Soopers (Kroger, Dillons) to sell Girl Scout Cookies this past Friday.

Someone presented them with a $100 dollar bill for two boxes of cookies and received 93.50 in change.

The bill turned out to be counterfeit wiping out a good portion of their profit.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Calibritwo

I think this has to be one sick person to do this, but another lesson for us. First off, the adult in charge should never have accepted that $100 bill,  I have read of this scam several times, and its another thing for us to watch for, and warn our children about if they are out collecting money for anything. I personally think that children should not be doing this without an adult , but thats only my opinion. Unfortunately there are a lot of sick people around us we just have to be aware of. I really do feel bad for those girl scouts, but maybe this will make others aware of what could happen.

W. Gray

The radio said this morning the police department was giving the girl scout leaders tips on identifying counterfeit bills.

I suspect there will be more than one good Samaritan step forward with a good donation and, in the final analysis, this will prove to be a blessing for them.

We buy every year, and I like the lemon supremes.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Bonnie M.

We like the "Mint" something or other!
Bonnie

patyrn

I heard on the evening news here in Edmond, Oklahoma (just outside Oklahoma City) that a retailer had received a countefeited $100 bill.  It passed the test of swiping it with the special marking pen and looked very valid.  When it got to the bank, however, they determined it was actually a $5 bill that had been bleached and reprinted to look like a $100 bill.  It is scary to me to think that we have people among us who are able to deceive so easily!!!  I guess it worked with the marking pen because it actually had the fiber content of a valid bill.  They are telling people to also hold the bills up to the light to see some type of holographic image. 

Calibritwo

That blew one of my theories, that stores could tell if it was a fake by using that special pen..Who would have thought you could reuse money in that way! Guess I am going to have to check this page before I tell any more stories!

giester2

You can look for the hologram, but also look for the metallic strip that is in the bill.  It should say USA hundred, or USA TWENTY
Born in Texas with Kansan Blood

flo

we had the pen at the co-op but I still held it up to the light. 20's, 50's, 100's anyhow..  The hidden picture was the same that was on the bill.  If they had held that 100 up, they would have known it didn't pass the test.  But most clerks do just use the pen I notice when I shop.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Teresa

Well, unless I make them in the basement.. I don't know too much about it..
I have very few hundred dollar bills in my billfold.. LOL and I don't see to many people getting excited about checking my ones and fives..
Drats  I hate not being in the rich and wealthy section!  ;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

greatguns

But Teresa, I love being in good company. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk