Your beautiful county

Started by Rudy Taylor, February 11, 2008, 09:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calibritwo

I have travelled in several countries and they all have their own beauty, but here we not only have beautiful, fascinating countryside, but fascinating beautiful people that live in it, and that is why Howard Ks is our home..Keep looking Rudy, each bend you take has a new picture and a new story...thanks for starting this.

Ole Granny

As you approach Grenola from the west on 160 coming down the hill - a very perfect post card view.  Early Spring is exceptional.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

sixdogsmom

Quote from: Ole Granny on February 11, 2008, 10:39:28 PM
As you approach Grenola from the west on 160 coming down the hill - a very perfect post card view.  Early Spring is exceptional.

Yeh--- Down In The Valley, Valley So Low. This is a beautiful place to live! We used to commute every week end and I loved to see the change in the countryside from week to week. I love redbud season!
Edie

Janet Harrington

Now, Rudy, if you really want to see an awesome sight, you need to drive to Latham, then come across the hills back towards Howard.  You drive east out of Latham and just stay on that road.  Right now I can't remember the name of the road, but it takes you past what we commonly call the Green Ranch, so the road gets called the Green Ranch road.  At the top of the hill, before you start down, on a clear day you can see the Howard water tower and the courthouse.  In the spring time when everything is green, it is one of the most beautiful sights this county has.  I always said that all of Elk County is beautiful if you know where to go to look.  There isn't any corner of Elk County that isn't beautiful.

Rudy Taylor

I haven't been to Latham in more than 30 years so it will be a nice Sunday afternoon drive for us.  We'll wait until the grass is green and take several Elk County get-aways. Thanks, everyone, for the wonderful tips. Oh, yes, about the view on 160 over by Grenola. I can't tell you how many times' I've actually stopped along the highway to take in that view.  Scotland and Ireland have nothing on us!
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Wilma

A word of caution, Rudy.  The Green Ranch road can be primitive in places.  I would be very careful.  The rocks can bust tires and dent the beautiful finish on your vehicle, which should be a truck at least.  Then at the bottom of the long hill is a bridge that is sometimes out if there have been heavy rains.  Otherwise, it is a drive well worth taking.

Diane Amberg

Where is Eagle Head?  Now that some of your roads have names, I don't know where you are talking about any more. Before Grandma Dessie and Fred moved to town they lived some 10 miles or so west of town. It was past Bill Denton's spread on the right. To the left there was quite a hilly road with a low water crossing you took up to their house. If you went on up to the top, there was a wonderful view out over the area and a pumping jack and machinery shed.

T. Sackett

Would it be helpful to you to have a road map of Elk county?  I found one by going thru the search feature that is labeled "Current Elk county road map."  Have a good, safe, and happy day.  :)
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

Dale Smith

Oh how I loved Eagle Head... I haven't been out there in 20 years, but that is the first place I tell people about when I talk about how beautiful Elk County, Kansas really is.    I always wanted to live out there.  And I agree... Scotland and Ireland have nothing on Elk County.  No place prettier when the grass turns green in the Spring!

jensarlou

Well Rudy now you have made me really want to move back to Howard.  I used to own the red house on Limestone just north of Bellars.  It is built into the side of the hill just west of Rock Creek Bridge.  That was one of the most beautiful views looking eastward toward town.  During the summer you couldn't see for the trees, but in winter, especially with snow, the lights of town were so pretty.  Rudy and Pansy Beck now own the place and I sure hope they are enjoying it as much as I did.  It really surprised me that they didn't name Limestone, Perkins Rd.  The kids and I always called it that. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk