DSL in Howard

Started by indygal, December 20, 2007, 07:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

I spoke with an AT&T rep today who told me to call back in 24 hours to see if DSL was available in Howard. Well, I know a much faster way to find out...ask someone in Howard! So......is it? (And I really hope the answer is yes!)

indygal

Wow...I didn't realize this was going to be a tough question! Surely someone has the answer ...  :-\

DanCookson

DSL is available in Howard, but a cheaper and more reliable local connection is with SKT(888-758-8976).  They are just as fast and offer a package deal with phone service, High speed cable internet, and cable television.  Not to mention supporting a more local company!  If you have problems, they actually have customer service people that speak english and you don't even have to press one to get it  ;D

T. Sackett

Indygal, you may want to check out the posting made by Kjell on August 15, 2007 under the heading of Geek-table-Elk County Broadband, reply #7.  Interesting how Dan Cookson and Kjell seem to contradict each other.  :D  (To find it, I just put the word "internet" in the search feature, and the posting was on the second page.)
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

flo

I am one that already had SKT for cable and internet, but now have my phone service through them, together with cable tv and higher speed internet, 1000 min. of long distance (compared to 300 with AT&T), local repairman if I need it, but haven't so far, and altogether I am saving over $35.00 a month when I added my cable to my telephone bill.  I am very satisfied so far. You can get all the particular programs they have on their website.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

indygal

Thank you all for the very helpful info. We currently have AT&T service and wanted to keep our email accounts, etc. We're still not sure if we want cable TV at this point and have never used cable internet service before. I guess I need to call SKTC and see what their installation and monthly charges would cost us. Again, I do appreciate your replies! Hope you all have a grand and wonderful and safe Christmas/New Year's!

W. Gray

Does anyone remember using a regular telephone line to "dial up" the internet?

People would complain because they tried a good part of the day to call but the line was busy.

"You got a problem with your phone?"

Most of those calling had no clue as to what the internet was so the explanation was that I had been on the phone most of the day.

When the complaints became really bad, I called the phone company to order another telephone line.

Turned out the phone company had just introduced DSL and wanted to know if I would like to try it out.

The cable company had not yet introduced their high speed internet connection.

So I opted for DSL and have upgraded to the fastest speed since then.

With that first DSL, we had to have an adapter plugged into each wall jack and then plug a phone into that because the DSL signal had to be separated from the voice signal.

At a later point the phone company fixed it so that we no longer need an adapter on each jack.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Teresa

Kjell and Danny use the internet for different reasons.. We have to have something that will hold and run a tremendous amount of flash and movie files. Right now, Kjell wasn't sure if SKT would be able to provide what we needed. Danny uses SKT and we use ATT, we have a whole pkg deal also and run several lines etc through one account. ..as does Danny with SKT. .. but they are both different...like I said, because we need something that the regular user doesn't need.
Both company's are good.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

W. Gray

We currently have AT&T service and wanted to keep our email accounts, etc.

Indygal,

I have AT&T Worldnet Email but have QWest DSL service.

AT&T will allow Email only for $5.95 monthly regardless of who provides your internet access.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Jo McDonald

I tried to get DSL in Independence, and was unable to with AT&T----the Elk City State Park had wireless internet installed and I was allowed to connect to it - and I might add VERY PLEASED, to get that.  I purchased an adapter from Radio Shack - had it installed in my computer and I was off and running.  Here in Texas, it works for me also.  I had dial up for sooooooooo long and it was like sorghum in the winter time ~~~slow, slow slow.
  I love my wireless.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk