Okra

Started by T. Sackett, December 12, 2007, 05:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Sackett

Ya'll have been talking about beets and how yucky they are.  I can think of something much, much worse and that's okra..  I never could stand the slimy stuff.  And for the life of me cannot figure out how anyone else could either.
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

Joanna

:D Oh!  I do SO agree with that!  Yech! :P

frawin

You should try Okra patties, I think they are really good and the best way to fix Okra.
Frank

T. Sackett

For those folks that do manage to get that slimy stuff down--what do you do?  Hold a clothespin to you nose, shut your eyes, and hope that stuff slides thru your system doing 90 mph unti it hits the other end? ??? ??? ;D
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

Wilma

I thought I didn't like okra either until I had some a neighbor had prepared.  She fried it with some other stuff and it was delicious.  I doubt if I will ever try to cook it.

Bonnie M.

I've got to stand up for Okra!  I don't like the "slimy" okra, but we really do like the okra that we get in cafeteria's, where it has a batter on it, and is probably deep fat fried!  It's probably really healthy, too!  I also like beets fixed a certain way, and carrots when fixed with a roast, and in vegetable soup, etc., etc., etc.  Did someone else say that "there really isn't a lot that I don't like?"  That would be me!
Bonnie

greatguns

Yes!  I said that and I love pickled okra.  I'm not real fond of picking it.  Much better to pick it in the evenings than in the mornings.  I don't itch so much if I do it that way.  The other thing I love that so many people turn their noses up at is homemade sauerkraut.

Wilma

Now you've found one that I can't stand.  Sauerkraut in any way or form.  It just sets my teeth on edge at the thought of it.  I do like cabbage, raw, cooked or whatever, except for the sauerkraut.

Tobina+1

Wow, you are some picky people!  Pretty much give me any veggie and I've eaten it, and probably enjoy it.  My parents used to have a HUGE garden and grew a lot of different veggies.  I love pickled okra, and I'm glad that Poplar has it on their salad bar all the time.  I also like cooked okra, but I've found that it's better a little crunchy; not totally slimey.  I also enjoy it fried, too. 
I'm not a huge fan of sourkraut, but every once in a while on a good polish sausage is good.  My grandpa used to order sausage and sourkraut pizzas!  (My maiden name is Schmidt... )

greatguns

sauerkraut and ribs are to die for.  I also have a wonderful recipe for kraut dip.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk