1950's drowning at Moline City Lake

Started by Ole Granny, December 09, 2007, 08:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole Granny

Does anyone remember a drowning at the New (Old now) City Lake in Moline in the 1950's?  I do but cannot remember who it was or when.  I have a clue but not sure.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Roma Jean Turner

I am curious about this.  I was told at one time that my father had a friend that was visiting him who drowned at a lake.  I wasn't sure how reliable the info was or if it was even the Moline lake, but would certainly fit if it was. 

There is another drowning that took place, probably between 1885 and 1895 perhaps.  It involved my Great aunt Haddie/Hattie/Harriet Dunlap.  Supposedly she was a teacher or was in charge of watching the kids at some big community picnic in the Moline area. She became distracted for some reason and at least one child drowned.  According to the family story she was almost ran out of town.  When she left she never came back again.  At some point she married O.L. Hutchings a photographer, (a lot of the old Rail Road photo's were taken by him in the Elk Co area), they lived in Chanute, Ks untill he died 1910, then married Lars Randall traveled the world with him.  What a saga, I could on.  Always been fascinated by her.  Anyway, does anyone have anything on this incident since we are exploring drownings?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk