Beet Juice

Started by W. Gray, December 07, 2007, 05:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Roma Jean,

The Independence (Mo) paper said this morning that MODOT in Springfield has for the last two years been experimenting with beet juice to clear icy roads.

The test was successful and is going state-wide this winter.

Somehow they mix the beet juice with salt.

It is not supposed to turn the roads red.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Bonnie M.

Well, I will say, I never quit learning "things I didn't know" on this forum!  Somehow beet juice on the ice roads just surprises me!
Bonnie

Diane Amberg

Is this idea sponsored by the National  Beet Growers Association? ;D

W. Gray

According to MODOT it is in widespread use in Canada and Europe.

According to the report, the beets are grown mainly in the Dakotas.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Roma Jean Turner

I did not know that, but will pay attention this winter and see if I hear something about it here.

Jo McDonald

There are lots of beets grown in Minnesota also.  We have a friend that drives the transport trucks that they use up there.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Mom70x7

Heard tonight on the Chicago news that the city is using beet juice on the streets during this current ice storm.

sixdogsmom

Moline needs beet juice!! Bring it on!! I'll try anything, maybe we could sprinkle it on the trees also? :D :D
Edie

Janet Harrington

And just what exactly is the purpose of beet juice?  Is there something in it that thaws the snow and ice and keeps it from re-freezing?

Teresa

And how do they keep it from staining everything it touches or gets on.?
( or is that a dumb question:-[
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk