Amazing but True: Currently being advertised on US Television

Started by Teresa, December 02, 2007, 09:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Styled after the popular game show, Who wants to be a Millionaire? -

The US Social Security Administration is advising citizens through its new commercials how to find out what their projected social security retirement benefits will be.
More amazing, is the blatant disclaimer at the end of the commercial, that Social Security is not meant to be an all-inclusive government sponsored retirement plan, and that citizens should supplement future retirement income from private savings.

This is the first time in my life I can ever remember such a public advertisement notice, or information bulletin from the US Social Security Administration.  It is quite amazing and ironic that they should make such an announcement now, when it was never done before.  What's the spin?  Basically that Social Security is or will be broke very soon and that Mr. or Ms. US citizen should beware or at least forewarned.

In other words, Social Security is letting you know – Don't complain to us when you retire, we told you in 2001 that we can't support you (but thanks for sending in all your money during the years you were working).
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Joanna

I haven't seen the commercials yet, but will watch for them.
Actually though, I had a class in college on Insurance (a couple years decades back now  ;)) and the teacher did focus on Social Security in one section.  I learned then that it was only intended to be supplemental from the beginning, but that many people didn't plan for retirement or have savings so it became their only income.  I suppose the commercials are just a new form of CYA for them now that things are 'hitting the fan'.

Diane Amberg

Teresa, I hate to say this, but when I studied civics and POD in high school, we learned the history of  Social Security and when and why it was started. I remember the teacher telling us it was a social security supplement, to be sure there was a little money. It was not meant to be a complete pension to live on. We were admonished to start saving money early. That was about the same time I applied for my S.S. number and got my first checking and saving account in my own name.

Teresa

Yea... since that was the case ..it's too bad all the money that was put in the SS general fund, just didn't go into the working  individual peoples personal government account.. with us not being able to touch it until we retire.. BUT...that would have been to the benefit of the people.. and not to line the governments pockets, now wouldn't it? Now of course they have used it for everything under the sun and what we have is our SS account is trillions of $ in debt.
**We are giving our grandchildren and great grandchildren SUCH a wonderful gift ::) **
Sorry, but where the government is concerned I am so cynical (with good reason)  and the trust (if there ever was any, which there wasn't)  has been buried a long long long time ago.
I am not a doomsday type of person, but I am one to keep my head out of the sand to see what's in the cross-hairs looking back at me,
It isn't a pretty sight.. BUT.. we will persevere. Living in the location and area that I live in, is an advantage. Other than living within a 100 mile radius of Wichita's military and aircraft bases, we are better off (in my opinion) than those in the city's.
Everyone needs to try to be aware and prepared without living in a vacuum. Our world and resources  ( as we have known it) can not be pushed, stretched, abused and wasted, without it finally giving way. it is so sad.. but we better keep our senses keen.

((((wow.. that is just waaaayyyy to heavy for a Monday morning )))  ;D ;D
I'll go in now, and put on Christmas music and clean the house..  :D ;D :D

Tobina+1

I guess I'm from the generation where we were taught that Social Security will probably NOT be around by the time we retire, so to start saving in other ways.  Many (most) companies provide 401K match programs, and I've always put the maximum amount in out of each paycheck.  I figure that I can live without a few dollars now so that I'll have something to retire on later.
And as far as Social Security still being taken out of my check now, even though I probably won't see a penny... I guess I just look at my grandparents and the fact that they depend on SS or didn't have the opportunity to participate in 401K or anything, and I'm just helping provide for them.

Wilma

Teresa

Oh please.. ::)
You worked Wilma..and so did your husband..therefore you had/have SS.

And I am all for helping to take care of our elderly..and we do.. but my SS view still stands as it is.
I think it has been corruptly grossly mishandled...and if we all handled our finances like the government handles  (our) their finances.. we would all be on the streets without squat!

Jody

ihave always known that  s.s. was a part of what I might depend on.  Jobs that had a good retirement plan was important plus theretirement plans came along.  Plus I was taught not to spend everthing, to save for a rainy day.

Wilma

Yes, Teresa, I worked.  My 'didn't get past the eighth grade' husband worked.  It is because of his earnings that my social security is above average.  We retired with more than was expected of non educated people.  Unfortunately, there isn't enough to keep me in a care facility for very long, so there probably won't be much to leave my kids.  Therefore, I am giving as much as I can to them now.  I don't expect to make them rich when I die, but I can make it easier for them now.  My mother had more than most widows, but it took all of it to take care of her.

Which brings me to something else.  My mother's soc sec check each month was around 800.00 a month.  My mother-in-law's check was about half that, yet these two ladies had money left over at the end of each month.  If I can just manage to do as good as they did, I will be happy.

Teresa

Wouldn't it be great if we could live on $400.00 a month?
We were talking the other day and I  remember when Mama and I would go up to Grayson's Dime Store and get white tennis shoes for me for 99 cents. Even then, I knew it took some saving. What my dad made in a month and raised  Sherri and I on..was less than what we go out on a Saturday night in the city and spend on a movie, popcorn and a nice dinner. (plus the gas to get there)

I believe that someday, because of the instability of the country, the economy, and war, and we will have the family members all together..living in one "homestead".. ..protecting and working together and surviving  as a unit. I know that my family members have talked seriously about when that day will come and how we will be prepared.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk