Longton Oil Refinery

Started by W. Gray, November 04, 2007, 08:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Another Longton refinery view provided by Jarhead.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

Judy Harder

I find this very interesting. Nice to know that some of Longton history is being preserved. I do hope it lasts.......
I mean Longton.  We seem to be getting new people every day. That is a "good-thing" as Bonnie would say.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

frawin

Superior Oil merged with Mobil Oil in 1984 and is now part of Exxon Mobil. Superior got away from lots of refining and concentrated on oil and gas production before merging with Mobil.

Marcia Moore

Here is a photo of the souvenir dish I have that pictures the Superior Refinery at Longton.

frawin

The old Superior Oil and Gas Company merged into Mobil Oil Corporation in 1984 and is part of Exxon-Mobil. Superior had a big office in Midland Texas.

W. Gray

Not only did Longton, Kansas, have refinery but so did a bunch of other towns in the area.

Testimony from the United States vs Standard Oil of New Jersey, 1908.

Q. And the oil refineries in the neighborhood of the oil-producing regions there take part?—A. Well, oil refineries not in the immediate section, but refineries. We are now selling to the Kansas City Oil Refining Company about approximately from 500—they agree to take 500 to a thousand barrels daily.

Q. And do you sell to other refineries?—A. Yes, sir.

Q. What other refineries do you sell to?—A. We have sold a small amount to the Chanute Refinery, Chanute, Kansas. The Chanute and the Kansas City Oil Refining Company are the only refineries to which we have sold oil.

Q. Are there other refineries in Kansas and Oklahoma, between Kansas City and the Glenn Pool field?—A. Yes, sir.

Q. At Chanute?—A. There are refineries at Paola, the Paola Refining Company; there is a good-sized refinery there. Then Humboldt has a refinery, an independent refinery. Coming down, Chanute has three, possibly four—three anyway. Cherry vale has the Uncle Sam refinery. Niotaze, Kansas, has the Sunflower Refining Company. Longton, Kansas, has a refining company, I have forgotten the name. Coffeyville, Kansas, has the National Refining Company, of which Michael Cudahy, I believe, is one of the principal parties. By the way, there is another now building at Coffeyville. Caney, Kansas, has a refinery. Tulsa has a refinery. Sapulpa, Oklahoma, has a refinery, and Muskogee, Oklahoma, has a refinery, the Muskogee Refining Company. There are some others. Those are the principal ones, as I recall.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk