ARE YOU A GAMBLER?

Started by Wilma, November 01, 2007, 11:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo McDonald

A flashing GREEN LIGHT?????  I have never encountered that --
smart a - - answer....assume there was a short in the wiring circuit????  sorry, could not resist.

Really, Diane, what would be the reason for a flashing green light -- other that that road/street had the right of way?
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Bonnie M.

Does it mean that you are approaching an intersection where the pedesterians will have the right of way, when they activiate the button?  So, you slow down, let them go across the street, then the light will start flashing green again, and you can proceed.
Bonnie

Janet Harrington

When you are going west to Wichita and come to those stay right except to pass signs, it is the laws that you stay right excep to pass.  If you are passing someone who is in the right lane and someone is coming at you passing someone and they are in your lane, they are at fault.  Even though the markings say they can pass, they can only do so if the way is clear.  Now if someone is in that passing lane and not passing anyone and the other person hits them because they are trying to pass going east bound, the east bound car would be at fault, because you cannot pass unless they way is clear. 

Wilma

Isn't that what I said?  I have learned something from being Janet's mother.

Jo McDonald

Back to the flashing green light.....Come On, Diane --- and the answer is ______________???????
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Wilma

Diane Amberg

If there is a flashing green light, you are supposed to expect side traffic that might try to cross you or turn right or do something...It's totally ridiculous! I always thought that's what flashing yellow was for. Out of state drivers have no idea what they are supposed to do.

W. Gray

One would think under the uniform traffic laws, a flashing green would be legal in all states?

Does anyone remember when there were no uniform traffic laws and each state went its own way and did its own thing?

Uniform laws or code applicable to all states were passed in the late forties or early fifties standardizing everything including hand signals.

Most younger folks probably do not know that at one time a driver had to signal a right turn by sticking his left arm out an open window (summer or freezing winter) and thrusting it straight up in the air. As near as I can remember, the arm when straight out to signal a left. If slowing down, the arm when straight down.

Even these hand signals were different. Missouri and Kansas differed in left and slow but were the same for turning right. Many times, drivers did not bother to signal if the weather was bad.

Missouri had the yellow no passing stripe down the middle of the driving lane rather than at the median. Kansas had the stripe at the median.

I also recall traffic lights in which red were on the bottom, yellow in middle, and green on top. Others were red on top, green on bottom, and no yellow.

There were also horizontal traffic lights with red on the left, yellow in the middle, and green on the right.

At one time, at the then extremely dangerous corner of Rose Hill Road and US 54, the red lights on US 54 had a  small open slit. When the light turned red, inside that slit was a high intensity brilliant flashing white strobe light that could be seen for a long way off as a way of warning drivers about the intersection. Those red lights are now gone replaced by the traditional type.

The only other place I ever saw such a red light was in Alabama a few years ago.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

Many drivers don't bother to signal now and they can't blame it on bad weather.

Roma Jean Turner

That is one of my pet peeves.  We have middle turn lanes here and people get out in one with no turn
signal and then seem mad because the rest of us can't figure out where they want to go.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk