Bank Building

Started by W. Gray, October 31, 2007, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

While in Howard last week, one of the second story windows in the old bank building fell to the sidewalk on Washington Street.

Someone could have been badly injured.

The city apparently sent someone over to clean up the glass and someone boarded up the window opening with plywood.

There are many windows on the second floor covered with plywood.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, unfortunately that is only going to get worse. I know some people feel that building should be saved, it is very ornate, and definitely a historical treasure. While I feel it would be great to totally redo the building and keep it as a historical treasure, I think that Howard has many other needs that would serve the people and the town in a more beneficial way long term manner. I would doubt that the building could economically be made safe for occupation and and use. It is sad but a fact of life.
Frank Winn

Tobina+1

I, too, love the looks of that building and have always thought it would make a neat store or restaurant of some kind (as you could tell from my "Coffee for Thought post a few weeks ago).  Does someone live in the back portion of the building?  I had also heard rumors that someone once tried to buy the building to turn it into a steakhouse, but the deal fell through? 

W. Gray

I understand there was a back apartment built that is no longer in use.

I also understand, someone broke into it and did considerable damage.

Pigeons also became a problem.

The inside antique stuff such as teller windows, old desks, etc., were sold off years ago.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

DTW902

First of all hello to everyone.
Yes it is a shame about the old bank building; I have a friend that has tried numerous times to get a hold of Sherri. Several numbers from Knut. All with no luck either disconnected or no return call. Finally left a biz card with Knut to have Sherri call him. Still no word, all I can get is a lot of people are interested in buying the place.
Well the building is not worth much in its present condition, but it will not gain any value the way it's going. Anyway my friend has many connections with the historical society and would like to get the ball rolling on getting the building restored. But first need to gain ownership of the place before he can do anything. So if anybody has any input on how to get a response about the building let me know thanks.

Anyway nice forum you all have here I will check in and post some as time permits.

See'ya Dave
See'ya Dave

Janet Harrington

I listened to Knut tell someone that he cannot get ahold of Sherri either.  He has been trying and everything leads to a dead end.  How sad is that?

Wilma

Has anyone tried finding her through her relatives?  Her uncle was well known in Elk County.  And didn't her mother start the cafe that she and her husband ran for awhile?

flo

I'm being nosey, but who is the Sherri everyone is looking for? ???
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Wilma

Flo, if I remember right, she is the niece of Skip Encell.  I am thinking that her mother had the cafe downtown after Steve Gerkin and that Sherri took over from her.  She bought the old bank and was renovating it a little at a time when she and her husband decided to move.  More than that will have to come from someone who knows more than I.

Jo McDonald

WOW !!  How interesting....wouldn't it be wonderful if that beautiful old building could be restored??   
  YIPPEE   I HOPE IT HAPPENS !!!!
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk