Main Menu

Removed.

Started by Marcia Moore, October 01, 2007, 08:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

Oh Janet, that would be wonderful! Thank you so much, and I hope you find lots of good stuff!

Jo McDonald

You might contact Bill Nigh - and Carol.  Bill has been a member of the Church of Christ for many, many years -
If he has any info he would be more than happy to share, I am sure. 
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

indygal

Thanks, Jo, but we've spoken with the Nighs on a number of occasions. In fact, I think they had told us the building date was 1944.

Janet Harrington

Okay.  Here is what I found so far.  All from the Howard Courant-Citizen.  I quit after the December 6, 1945 news.  All of this information came from the weekly church news that was put in the paper.  The Church of Christ, Fiat and Howard, were not very faithful about putting news in every week.  Six or seven weeks would go by without a word, then all of a sudden, in the list of church news, the Church of Christ would tell about services.  Anyway, that's what I have so far.  If I'm not working the week of Oct. 8th, I'll look after December 1945.  By the way, the war was over in 1945.  I did find that.

July 27, 1944
     We are looking forward to our series of Bible Services which will begin in Howard, August 13th.

August 17, 1944 Gospel Meetings
     Church of Christ - Sunday services 10:30 a.m.  Preaching services 11:00 Basket dinner noon Afternoon services at 2:30 p.m. all at the west park in Howard.

September 7, 1944
     Church of Christ started meeting in the building known as Wade's Variety Store.

November 2, 1944
     Plans are to begin on the basement for the church this Thursday morning.

March 1, 1945
     Work will start again on the church basement just as soon as the weather will permit.

July 5, 1945
     We are located in the house on the corner east of the Methodist Church now.

July 26, 1945
     Work on the church basement is progressing nicely.

August 16, 1945
     We hope to be in our new building before winter.

December 6, 1945
     We are now having our services in the basement of the new church house.  Three blocks south of the post office.  (Now Family Market/Batson Drugstore).  So far, we have been unable to get material to finish the interior of the auditorium.

Marcia Moore

Removed.

indygal

Janet, you are awesome! Thank you SO much. You should be awarded some sort of medal -- or at least a double latte -- for your diligent detective work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk