Howard Topics

Started by W. Gray, August 26, 2007, 09:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

1.   Who is or was "The Whistler" whom I recall hearing about.

2.   Someone comes through Howard sounding a locomotive diesel horn on his or her car or truck. Apparently sounded on K-99, it is heard in the entire town. The first time I heard it was at my parent's house on Perry and I immediately ran down to the elevator thinking the Howard Branch had reopened. I don't think I have heard it lately.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Jo McDonald

It was Ted Winn.  And if my memory serves me correctly, it was his way of saying "hello" to his son and daughter, as he went down the highway. 
If this is not correct --- anyone that knows differently, feel free to correct me
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Janet Harrington

Nope.  It is not Ted Winn.  It is Harlan from Fredonia who is married to Brad and Mavis Helms daughter, Jaylene.  Right now I can't remember Harlan's last name.  He drives a cattle truck and when he got that horn, Jaylene was working at Toot's.  He would honk at her.  Now, he honks whenever he goes through.

I should say, at least I don't think Ted has one.  I eat breakfast with Ted almost every morning, so I'll ask him and if he does have one, I'll let you know.

Joanna

Harlan Chaplin.  Jaylene works at the bank in Fredonia with Marty.

W. Gray

Who was the whistler?

I have heard a number of people refer to him.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Jo McDonald

Well, I'll be darned ---wrong again   wwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  sniff sniff -  >:( >:( >:( >:(
I really an truly thought it was Ted....do I owe him an apology ??? If so -- Ta Ta  will you deliver for me?
  XXXXOOOO to U from me
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

patyrn

My sister and I were visiting in Howard one weekend and heard that whistle and both looked at each other with the same thought at the same moment--"Didn't they take the train tracks out of this area?"  Then we started laughing so hard and realized that the sound must have come from some "local character", although it gave us a thought for a bit that we were both losing our minds. 

frawin

I couldn't believe that would be my quiet and unassuming, innocent nephew that would make any extra noise.

Janet Harrington

No, Frank.  It wasn't your nephew.  It was this Harlan Chaplin.

Let me tell you about Ted Winn.  He is usually in Toot's by the time I get there.  Ted is so funny to just sit and talk with him and this young man will give you the shirt off his back if he thought you needed it.  Even if you didn't need it, all you had to do was ask him, "Ted, I need your shirt."  No questions.  He would just take it off and give it to you.  Jim and I just lov ehim.

frawin

Tell him hello for me.
Frank

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk