Interesting Elk County Residents Deserving Recognition

Started by Marcia Moore, August 26, 2007, 09:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalexander

Lester F. Winn, a progressive young farmer and stockman of Pleasant township, is a native of Kansas. He was born at Udall, Kans., November 14, 1897, and is a son of Samuel and Mary E. (Cox) Winn. Two children were born to Samuel and Mary E. Winn: Lester F., the subject of this sketch, and Roscoe, who resides at Rose Hill. By a former marriage, the father had four children: George, Anadarko, Okla.; Coleman, Anadarko, Okla.; Mrs. Pearl Davey, Mulvane, Kans.; and Myrtle Davey, Mulvane, Kans.
Lester F. Winn was reared at Rose Hill and educated in the public schools, and since he was fourteen years of age, has been actively engaged in farming, having had charge of the Eli Cox farm. He carries on general farming and stock raising and specializes in Holstein cattle.
Mr. Winn was united in marriage at Rose Hill, Kans., March 8, 1916, to Miss Genevieve Cox, of Rose Hill, a daughter of Elvin Cox, of Richland township. Although a young man, Mr. Winn is one of the substantial citizens of Pleasant township, and has won a reputation for getting results in whatever he undertakes. He is industrious and ambitious and his future bids fair to be a successful career.
History of Butler County, Kansas Vol. P. Mooney. Standard Publishing Company, Lawrence, Kan.: 1916  Page 575

indygal

Personally, I think it would be an interesting story and fitting tribute to bring together all these wonderful schoolteachers (Margaret Gragg, Hazel Moore, Juanita Anderson...and any others still living) for a news feature. The fact that all are of such "advanced" age would be noteworthy on its own, but it would be fun to get them all together to share their memories of teaching. I've not yet met Hazel or Margaret, but Juanita is a delightful lady. I've often thought it would be a good idea to ask Juanita about our home's early history, since she was one of the last four members of the church.

There must be something about the water here, or maybe it's genetics, but Elk County seems to have a very high percentage of "seniors" who are still very active. It's amazing how many folks in their 80s and 90s are still driving, doing yardwork, etc. It certainly gives us "youngsters" something to aspire to!

frawin

Also, remember that Agnes Miller and Buena Taylor also fit into that group of teachers.  I went to school to Juanita Anderson From 3rd grade to 8th grade.  She is a wonderful person and a was a great teacher!  I try to thank her every time I see her when we are up there.  Margaret is also a great teacher and a great person well deserving of being honored, as well as the others I have mentioned.
mlw

Catwoman

Another teacher who would make a wonderful story, even post mortem, is Leona Kinder.  I still have a world of respect for that woman...I really liked her irrascable husband, Pop, too.

Wilma

I had forgotten about Leona Kinder and Pop was an interesting guy, wasn't he.

Rudy Taylor

Good story ideas, everyone.

We'll do our part to get some of them done in the very near future.

Rudy
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Teresa

Make sure you leave  your "grumpy" face at home Rudy.. lol

;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

pam

Y'all are talkin about teachers....I liked Helen Vinette when I was in school, she was my english and french teacher. Thanks to her I can still say a few things in french! lol
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

frawin

I agree Pam, Mrs Vinette was my English teacher as well, and she loved teaching and young people, a neat lady.
Frank

flo

Quote from: pam on July 01, 2008, 09:56:15 AM
Y'all are talkin about teachers....I liked Helen Vinette when I was in school, she was my english and french teacher. Thanks to her I can still say a few things in french! lol

watch it gal - more than once I've heard you say "Pardon my French" -  ;D ;D ;D
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk