Interesting Elk County Residents Deserving Recognition

Started by Marcia Moore, August 26, 2007, 09:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

See there.  I knew someone would correct me.  Thanks.

Rudy Taylor

Ta Ta, it gives me a warm feeling inside to see you get "corrected."  One might think
that two church services this morning would have given you needed correction
but apparently neither sermon "took."

But keep going anyway, Janet.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Teresa

;D

Don't you pay any attention to them TaTa...
I love you even if you aren't a "corrected person"..   :-*
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

frawin

Margaret Gragg turned 93 last March.  She and my Aunt Dorothy graduated in the same class and my aunt turned 92 in April. 

Teresa

I wish I had more time.. we would go to her house and interview her and Hazel. ( for a video on here)
. maybe I can make time, but right now it doesn't look too promising..  :-\

Janet Harrington

Quote from: Rudy Taylor on August 26, 2007, 07:49:32 PM
Ta Ta, it gives me a warm feeling inside to see you get "corrected."  One might think
that two church services this morning would have given you needed correction
but apparently neither sermon "took."

But keep going anyway, Janet.
Quote from: Teresa on August 26, 2007, 08:30:42 PM
;D

Don't you pay any attention to them TaTa...
I love you even if you aren't a "corrected person"..   :-*

I love it.  Ms. T, I know you love me.  Unconditional love.  The best there is.  And Rudy, I don't know if the sermons took or not.  We will see as I live my life day to day.  ha ha  Let's hope they did take.

Sam

I conducted an interview with Hazel for a report I did when I was a freshman in high school (1993).  I seriously doubt it still exists, but it would be interesting to see it.

I have so many fond memories of Hazel from my childhood.  She would make caramel corn balls for Halloween every year.  When you knocked on her door to Trick-or-Treat she would invite you in and ask you to sign your name to a logbook that she had kept for years and years.  She loved kids and it was easy to see that.

I know she is still alive, but I'm not sure how "with it" she is any more.  Does anyone have an update?

patyrn

Hazel Moore's tradition for many, many years was to make popcorn balls every Halloween.  Since she had taught so many students in the Howard Public School and the Methodist Church, she had lots and lots of trick-or-treaters and always kept a log of those who came by on Halloween.  When I was young and her mother was still living, they would be making the popcorn balls fresh as the evening progressed. I can still smell the aroma from her kitchen of freshly popped popcorn!!  Since she has been unable to keep this tradition up, her niece in Washington has been preparing treat bags and FedExing them so she can greet all the trick-or-treaters. 

I really doubt that she is up to an interview at this point.  She just turned 98, and although she is still fun to stop by and visit with, her memory is really slipping.  She is such an amazing lady and so special to so many.  Although she never married, she and her mother raised her sister's two girls from a very young age after the deaths of their parents and also several of her cousins after their mother died.  Their home was always open to anyone in need.  Many people in Howard cherish her as their 1st grade teacher, and I have fond memories of her as a wonderful lifelong neighbor. 

Teresa

When Danny and Derek would go to her house on Halloween she would always give them an "extra" popcorn ball and tell them that since Mark was too big to trick or treat , that this one was for him..  ;D
Even after the boys were grown, and she was still making popcorn balls, she would walk over to the store and come in the back door bringing a few for Mark and the boys.. ( she knew I couldn't eat them) so she would  bring me a bag of plain popcorn.
Bless her heart, she is a jewel among jewels...

Jo McDonald

I truly think it would be safe to say " I don't think there is a person alive that has met Hazel Moore that didn't love her".
She used to call me on the phone of an evening -- and honestly we would get so tickled at some of our "gossiping"..but definitely not maliciously -- just some little tidbits that we thought were funny.

Yes, Teresa, she surely is a Jewel Among Jewels.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk