Howard on eBay

Started by Joanna, August 20, 2007, 06:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Does any one know when those buildings on Wabash were built?   I don't remember them looking Much different than they do now.  There was even a dance place withthe group. 

Jo McDonald

I still don't think this is a picture of Howard --- the roof of the little filling station that was owned and operated by Millard Cox, does look like the one that is now part of the museum, but Fred's great Uncle Frank Organ owned the hotel at that time, and it is now the trashed building "Heritage House" -- and there is NO building on that corner that is visible in this picture, AND the garage/filling station that Carl Lauffler ran had a drive access from southwest/northeast in front and there is none in this picture.  Also -- the roof of the building that would have been the old bank building  did not have that many elevation levels on it  as I recall  and still doesn't, does it?
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

hhjacobs

The old bank building that is still there and the building to the south have different roof levels. The bank building is a little higher.

kdfrawg

I think maybe someone needs to get to where this photo was taken (the water tower?) and take another one.

:)

Marcia Moore

Does anyone know what year the Heritage House was built?

giester2

Showed this to my parents and they think it might be Howard also, with the picture taken from the water tower.

my father wanted me to post this little bit of info for everyone

"Since I haven't seen mention of it, ... the "Forum" might be interested in the book Elk County - A narrative history of Elk County and its People.
Sponsored by the Elk County Historical Society, Printed by Josten's American Yearbook Company.  Copyright 1979. Library of Congress Card No. 79-88252.  I have the third printing dated 1995. The price then was $25.00.  A good read for anyone interested in Elk County. Contains town histories, old photos/maps, and some family histories."   

The picture below is from this book.  It is used because it shows the water tower,  where the picture on the post card might have been taken from.
Born in Texas with Kansan Blood

patyrn

The buildings in the early photo could have been totally rebuilt or remodeled  between  1930 and  the 40s and 50s.  Also there were many big trees that are no longer present that may block the view of some structures. The trim on the building with the pointed roof  makes me feel certain this is the Howard National Bank Building.

The newest post by geister2  is definitely the Howard National Bank Building at the southeast corner of Wabash and Washington.  It is, however, not taken from the water tower. The water tower is visible in the background.  It looks as if it was taken from the opposite corner of the intersection.  This is a beautiful picture of a grand building.  It is in such pitiful  shape now.  Very sad.

kdfrawg

And that surely looks like the domed structure on the rooftop that you see in the other picture. Hard to tell, but they may have been taken from almost exactly opposite angles.

Wilma

You are not going to get me to climb the water tower and take another picture. No way.

Marcia Moore

This is a portion of a photograph that was taken the same day the one on ebay was taken.  From left to right – the old Howard Post Office building, a meat market, the building Waldo's Barber shop used to be in, the Smith and Goodwin building, the Barackman building, Allen's Drug Store, Allen's Cafe, and then the garage. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk