Howard on eBay

Started by Joanna, August 20, 2007, 06:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanna

Here's the link to another item on eBay related to Howard, KS. 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120152643737&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002
I got a copy of the picture, but couldn't get it posted  ??? & will have to study previous instructions for that.

If the link doesn't work, just cut & paste it, or search eBay for   Bird's Eye View of Howard, Kansas
ANYHOW, I'm not sure the picture is really Howard, but it's from 1930, so I don't have a good menory of that time  ;D  Since "Holton, Ks" is reverser printed on it, I thought it might be there, though he says the postmark is Howard. 

frawin

I have a lot of pictures of Howard in the early days and I am pretty sure this picture is not of Howard, Kansas main street. I am also quite sure that Howard never had a Studebaker dealer.
Frank Winn

W. Gray

I noticed the vehicle in front of Studebaker garage was parallel parked--perhaps another clue.

I was trying to convince myself that was the corner of Washington and Wabash but not doing a good job of it.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Jody

Don't think this is Howard , either.    Jody

kdfrawg

Here is the photo in question

Wilma

Nothing in that photo looks like Howard.

Mom70x7

Just had Margaret Gragg over to the house
She said yes, it might be the corner of Wabash and Washington.
The Garage is where the Senior Center now is.

The sign on the garage says it services Studebakers, not necessarily is a dealer for them.

Margaret also said there did used to be a garage on that corner.

To the right of the turret there is a low building that looks like the service station currently on the NE corner
of Wabash and Washington. The roof is the same.

Margaret suggested talking to Glenn Miller - he would know what garages, etc., were in town then.

She was NOT certain, just said it could be that corner.

frawin

Well I wouldn't want to dispute my second grade teacher and a lifelong friend but I still don't think it is Howard.
Frank Winn

Joanna

I, too, was stuck thinking I was looking to the South West at the corner of Wabash & Randolph.  If I try to imagine looking North West at the corner of Wabash & Washington, it seems possible, with the turret being where the really old bank building is (must have been beautiful in it's day) ...  As if they were standing on the water tower, taking a picture of the Cox building before it was built.  Ha!

Mom70x7

Does anyone else see the roof of the old gas station in the picture?

The gas station that is still standing on the corner?

If you look on the bottom right-hand corner of the picture, you can see a roof.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk