Kansas High Spots

Started by W. Gray, August 05, 2007, 09:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Dan,

I have noticed that variation also and do not know how to reconcile that with the official heights listed with DeLorme and the various web sites listing the highest summits. That is one big difference. I have never seen the high-low elevation statistics for Elk County.

Even around Osage Cuestas there are higher elevations shown.

Diane,

The Lenape is the tribe that renamed themselves Delaware. It seems to me that one of the Indian smoke shops south of Caney in Oklahoma is run by the Lenape or at least has that name.

For every tribe that was moved out of the eastern United States, there seems to be members of that same tribe still in the original area. For instance, the Cherokee were supposed to have been driven to Indian Territory in a big event called the Trail of Tears. But there are still Cherokee in North Carolina and other states in that area.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

In my Cherokee history and family history, some of the Cherokee refused to be moved and disappeared into the hills.  My grandfather was 1/4 Cherokee and he was born in Tennessee.

Marcia Moore

Wilma - Was your grandfather on the Cherokee roll?  What was his name?

W. Gray

When the Cherokee were forced to move, tribal members were living in log cabins ala the white man. The nation was ruled by a President, rather than a chief, and the President lived in the "white house," the Cherokee version of the U.S. Presidents home.

The US Supreme Court actually ruled the federal government had no authority to move the Cherokee. The Cherokee had refused to sign a treaty which included the move. President Jackson made the comment that the Chief Justice had made his decision now let him enforce it. Times were different then, and the Judicial Branch, Congressional Branch, nor anyone else challenged Jackson after he ordered the move in accordance with the unsigned treaty.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

kdfrawg

So, what has changed?

( sorry, I couldn't resist )

( I'll sit quietly in the corner now )

Wilma

Marcia, no, my grandfather was not on the Cherokee Roll.  His father refused to live on Indian land and we understand that to be on the roll, you had to be living on Indian land.  My great great grandfather, however, is on the roll as being the father of an Indian and several of his children are on the roll.  My great great grandmother is nowhere to be found except as the wife and mother and is not on the roll.  My great greats were Jesse Lowrey and Darcus Manard.  If anyone can find anything on Darcus we would sure appreciate it.  My grandfather was Samuel Preston Lowrey.  His father was Isaac. 

Wilma

Thank you, Marcia.  I checked this and didn't find any more about Darcus Manard than we already knew, which is that she was married to Jesse Lowrey and had 11 children.  The degree of Indian blood in my grandfather, Samuel, indicates that she would have been the full blood Indian and the tribe was Cherokee.

Rudy Taylor

I'm a member of the Cherokee Nation, complete with card and all rights to get medical treatment at clinics, etc.
I've never done that, but I never say never!  Believe me!

My grandmother signed the rolls (I believe it was in 1902), so all her descendents can be Cherokee Tribe members.

Now, here's the crazy thing:  I'm only 1/128th Cherokee.  My kids also have their cards and they're 1/256th.

My son and I went to Tahlequah 25 years ago to do some research into our heritage and we found my grandma's signature on the rolls. So, we signed all the paperwork and became tribal members.  We even get to vote in elections.  But what a farce! I really don't think the U.S.A. owes this ol' 1/128th Cherokee editor any medical benefits or grants to send my kids to college.  Heck, I'm probably more Irish than Cherokee.

Still, I've always proudly claimed the Cherokee Nation as my own.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk