Kansas High Spots

Started by W. Gray, August 05, 2007, 09:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Topo USA 5.0 is my own software.

Osage Cuestas is in the east to west center of Greenfield Township about a mile south of the township line and east of the Big Caney River.

Based on a township map I have that does not show elevations, it appears to be in Range 9, Township 30 South, Section 19. A topo map that might be helpful is at http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lon=-96.4583&lat=37.425

The fact that it is the highest point in Elk County is at Hiking in Kansas http://www.mountainpeaks.net/hiking_kansas.html and America's Roof http://www.americasroof.com/highest/ks.shtml

Not to confuse matters, but the summit called Osage Cuestas is in the geologic region of Kansas also called Osage Cuestas. Osage Cuestas geologic region occupies most all of southeast Kansas. Elk County is entirely in Osage Cuestas geologic region except for a small corridor on the east boundary which is in the Chautauqua Hills geologic region.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

You guys are really funny.... the highest spot in Delaware is all of 448 feet , the lowest spot is glub,glub. Too much ice melt and we are gone!

kdfrawg

Well, they are saying 15 meters by 2060 or 2100. If that turns out to be true, Florida is going to be an itsy-bitsy island off the coast of the US. And, oh by the way, there are more than a billion people living now on what will be underwater then.

Marcia Moore

Thanks, Waldo.  Section 19, Township 30, Range 9 is owned by Eagle Head Ranch, LLC.  There is an area in Elk County known as the Eagle Head, and a private road goes up across it that is used by ranchers and oil field personnel.  I believe Eagle Head Ranch is currently owned by a group of businessmen, one of which is Jack Bannon.  It is also one of the ranches that is stocked with wild horses. 

Rudy Taylor

For me, the high point in Elk County is reading the many interesting and often
fun posts on this forum.

High and mighty --- my friends in Howard, Moline, Elk Falls, Grenola, Longton
and other places I've probably overlooked.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

W. Gray

With me at 5,638 feet; Elk County in the 1,000's range; and Delaware at 400 feet or so; I am just glad everything rolls down hill.

I should thank sixmomsdog, above, for her comments.

By the way Diane, do you folks have ranges, townships, and sections? I am thinking any entity formerly colonial had a different system.

While talking colonial and just because it came to my mind, the first 13 states were formerly  12 colonies and one independent nation, The Republic of Vermont.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

kdfrawg

And Vermonters are still pretty darned independent in many of their actions. That's why I like that state so well. In my book, independent and critical thinking are what matters. And Vermont has that in spades. I think we can safely say that Delaware can claim some of the same, too, huh Diane?

Diane Amberg

Yup...sure can. We are a state of 3 counties and our incorporated areas. No ranges, townships or sections.  We still  have areas called "hundreds" that go back to British days. It is generally accepted that it was as much land as it took to generate 100 men to go fight whatever needed fighting.  We still have Pencader hundred and Blackbird Hundred(Used to be Black Beard...yes, that one ) Pa., next door,( that used to be connected to Del. lo-o-o-ng ago) is not a state, it is a commonwealth and does have counties and townships. Many the old towns are Burroughs with a Burgess instead of a mayor.  Now about rolling all your junk down hill to us....Cherry Island land fill can't hold too much more, so all you states on the way here have to recycle as much as you can on its way by, and then there won't be too much left when it gets here! ;D 

W. Gray

Trivia for Diane,

Were you aware that the Delaware Indians were not originally called the Delaware Indians when they lived in your greater area?

In a switch, the tribe named themselves after the Governor of Jamestown, Lord de la Warr. The river was also named after him although his real name was Thomas West--go figure the British.

The US subsequently moved the tribe to Kanzas in Indian Territory and then to the reduced Indian Territory in Oklahoma.

kdfrawg

I have already learned a lot about what happened to which Indians when and where in doing pages for the GenuineKansas Website. I have found it to be very interesting (and pretty darned shameful in many cases) and am sure that I will learn much more as I delve further into it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk