New Look to the "Home" page

Started by Mom70x7, August 04, 2007, 03:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

It's very nice, easy to understand and clean looking.

Thanks!

kdfrawg

Well, I'll say one thing about it. It makes it almost impossible to use the forum unless you set your browser window to be about 1100 pixels wide. Since I'm always doing about 11 things at once, I really don't want to take up my whole 1280 x 1024 screen with one application window. Maybe you could deal with that?

Edited in later:  The problem, by the way, is that you have the banner and the "Tell-a-friend" boxes on the top line together. The banner is 770 pixels wide and the tell-a-friend box is a couple of hundred, making the total too wide.

Teresa

Quote from: Kermit on August 04, 2007, 03:33:59 PM

Edited in later:  The problem, by the way, is that you have the banner and the "Tell-a-friend" boxes on the top line together. The banner is 770 pixels wide and the tell-a-friend box is a couple of hundred, making the total too wide.

It is really not the  problem. The site has been changed to a fixed pixel width of 990 pixels.
This has become a standard on many multi media websites to make room for more content and easier navigation.
For most users this is not a problem. For those with 800x600 screens ..they will have to scroll sideways, and for those who want to have several windows open at the same time..will find this new format somewhat awkward.
But the majority will not find this to be a problem at all.
If you have bookmarks at the side of your screen.. you may have to take them off.
Most people like the larger screen format..It gives a better look to the page and doesn't clutter up everything. 

Everything about this website is done free gratis.. there is no income made from any of the content or from any maintained web work that is continually done.
This site is also used as a "test site" as Kjell has stated before..
He has been burning the midnight oil testing and changing several things and making major changes to our other major sites.
And.....
The Elk County site reaps the benefits of that, so it is to everyone's advantage for the most part.

When you have something like this that involves so many people using it, it doesn't matter what you do...
you are never going to please everyone.... :-\
My apologies if it is an inconvenience to some.

So.... this will be the way it is.. :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

flo

;D ;D ;D - and here I thought I had accidently clicked something to make it bigger and hoped I could do the same thing the next time I tuned in.  I like it and my screen shows the whole thing just fine.  I'm not a multi-tasker most of the time, so don't bother me one bit.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

kdfrawg

I have seen it a few times elsewhere.  I just see it as annoying and not particularly good web design, since all the studies still say that half or more of the users in the world are still at 800 x 600. I never have seen the sense in throwing barriers in front of users. Usually, I just click by sites that are too wide to be easily used and don't go back. Either I'll get used to it or I won't.

All of my sites now are fluid width, usable from about 780 to infinity.

Bonnie M.

And, then, there's "me!"  I think it's great!  There's a lot of technical stuff I don't know, and sometimes, that's a "good thing!"  I am just amazed at how much you can do with this Forum.   

Thanks.
Bonnie

frawin

We have no problem using this format and like it the way it is.  We do appreciate all the work that you do to keep it up and going properly.

flo

so there you go - the Aye's have it
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Rudy Taylor

I'm not a techie so I can't comment on that part of the new home page, but I do like it.

The photo of the courthouse tower broadens the scope of the forum a bit, rather than the Howard water tower.

I like!
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Janet Harrington

I like it.  When I opened it up, I didn't have to sign in.  I thought that was great.  Anyway, it's just fine the way it is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk