Lila's Cafe in Piedmont

Started by Rudy Taylor, July 31, 2007, 06:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Diane, the Little Hooker is also a bait shop close to the Winfield City Lake.  The name comes from the fishing merchandise they sell, not their services.

W. Gray

It seems to me the intersection of US-400 and the secondary road into Fall River is called Hookers Corner.

There was a bait shop on that corner at one time, but my understanding is that it was called Hookers Corner long before that.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

emptynest

Can any of you from around this area tell me if there used to be a pond near Piedmont called Barney Google's?  When I was younger, I spent some time in Piedmont, (yes, at Lila's) and was taken several times to a pond that was affectionately called Barney Google's Pond.  It was north of Piedmont and you would take a little road that ran along side the highway to get there.  Just wondering......This would have been back in the early 70's.

Wilma

Diane, Hooker's Corner at Fall River is close to a large fishing lake, also.

Rudy Taylor

I think they do a little hunting there, too.

(They use horehounds)
It truly is "a wonderful life."

kdfrawg

Rudy, you are both incorrigable and untrainable.

That must be why I like you.

;D

Diane Amberg

Rudy...Horehounds? Do their owners have to go out and clean up Horehound drops?

Rudy Taylor

Why, Diane ... you're beginning to think like Kermit and me. And that's not exactly a compliment.

Dunno, I've just always thought horehound candy carried a funny name.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

Janet Harrington

About as funny as other words.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk