Elk County

Started by W. Gray, July 31, 2007, 08:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Janet Harrington,

Is one of the inmates you work with in El Dorado, the Elk County fellow that murdered the dentist in Iola?

Would you care to share some of the events that took place over the years (16?) you were in office?

What types of crimes took place, what was the most occurring crime, fastest speeder to ever come down K-99, US-160, meth busts, etc.   

A couple years ago, I was traveling down K-99 out of Eureka when it seemed like every police car for miles around was screaming past me with sirens and red lights. After I arrived in Howard, the radio announced the murder of the Greenwood County Sheriff. Can you say what sentence the killer received? I assume he is in El Dorado, also.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flo

the "presumed" killer of Sheriff Samuels has not been to trial yet and that is a very sore spot with a lot of people.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Teresa

Janet.. Waldo is right.. that might be something that would be really interesting.
I know that there are things that you might not be able to talk about.. but we will leave that up to
your discretion.

( You LOVE to hear the sound of your own voice and you think that EVERYTHING that you say is something that someone else wants to hear.................................. ::)
Sooooooooooooo...  :-\ sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Type away my friend...  ;D
:-*
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Jo McDonald

Poor Ta Ta
 Ask her to help and then make her cry.  Come here, Ta Ta,  I will rock you and pat you back.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Rudy Taylor

La, la, Ta Ta.
Rock-a-bye baby.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Janet Harrington

I will love to share a few stories with the forum and I will do so from time to time.  Right now I am going out to mow the yard to save my husband some time.  However; I will be on later this evening and answer some of these questions.

Rudy Taylor

We're all waiting with baited breath!

Mow, girl. We gotta hear from ya.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

kdfrawg

Bedtime stories with Aunt Janet!

;)

Diane Amberg

Rudy, what kind of bait are you using? And where did that strange saying come from in the first place>

kdfrawg

This from phrases.org.uk:
-----------------------------------
Which is it - bated or baited? We have baited hooks and baited traps, but bated - what's that? Bated doesn't even seem to be a real word, where else do you hear it? Having said that 'baited breath' makes little sense either. How can breath be baited? With worms?

There seems little guidance in contemporary texts. Search in Google and you'll find about the same number of hits for 'baited breath' as 'bated breath' - around 100,000 each. In one of the best selling books of all time - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, (whose publisher could surely afford the services of a proof-reader), we have:

"The whole common room listened with baited breath."

As so often, help is found in the writings of the bard. The earliest citation of the phrase is from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, 1596:

"With bated breath, and whispring humblenesse."

Bated is just a shortened form of abated (meaning - to bring down, lower or depress). So, 'abated breath' makes sense and that's where the phrase comes from.

Geoffrey Taylor, in his little poem Cruel, Clever Cat, 1933, used the confusion over the word to good comic effect:

Sally, having swallowed cheese
Directs down holes the scented breeze
Enticing thus with baited breath
Nice mice to an untimely death.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk