Favorite Sound

Started by Ole Granny, July 22, 2007, 09:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

I like Susan's "the sounds of my home", as long as they are sounding right.
Birds waking up. 

Diane Amberg

Rain, birds, especially when the wrens first come back in May. The kids playing at the pool at the bottom of our hill. The train blowing at the crossing. The U. of Del. carillon. The marching band practicing.

Jody

kdfrawg

Speaking of marching bands, my daughter was really wrapped up in hers, eventually becoming the head field conductor. They have a tradition of going to the houses of the high school VIPs one night a year, after midnight, and playing the fight song. They could usually get about 80 of the 120 kids in the band to go. I lived next door to the high school principal, who was just the greatest guy in the world.

But across the street was the snippiest, nastiest woman in the solar system. She came over the first time it happened in our neighborhood and said, with a huge frown on her face, "Did you hear those damned kids last night..." and I cut her off with a big smile and, "Yeah, weren't they GREAT!"

She never talked to me again. For that reason, the sound of a marching band is one of my favorite sounds, too, even at one in the morning.

;D

LShortt

My granddaughter Hannah caught in the midst of an uncontrollable spontaneous giggle (Ethan too, but Hannah is more prone to them).  Don't you remember those from being a kid?  I do, and how can a person NOT grin at hearing that sound.

Judy Harder

One of my favorite sounds in the summer is the "ping" of a canning jar sealing .
I also love the sound of babies cooing in church....LOL.....it makes a boring sermon go quicker...LOL
I think the sounds of tree frogs and crickets and whatever loves to sing me to sleep.
Dad whistling as he worked around the house.........he still does that, but for some reason he stays on the same song.......that gets a little old...Mom always tries to distract him and he lets her get away with it........But, then will forget and here we go again. God bless Fathers and mothers..!!!
I also love walking in the cafe and each and everyone looks around and says, "Hi, Judy" feels like home.
The quiet after a snowfall............is wonderfull......don't care if it is a blizzard or the middle of the night.......Course after that one snow fall, it can stop..LOL
The quiet at church when someone is testifing and all get into it.

Thank God for the ears to hear.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Rudy Taylor

The sound of a pre-1955 Chevy, six cylinder engine with split manifold and dual Hollywood pipes.

Just hearing that baby slowly pull away from a stop sign was a sound to behold!
It truly is "a wonderful life."

kdfrawg

Rudy, I had plumb forgotten that one.

Car sounds probably don't work for the ladies among us, but they almost certainly do for all us guys. There were wonderful sounds (Rudy's exhaust sound, for example) and horrible sounds (like a clacking lifter, for example) that most of us remember. I'm not going to dwell on it, cuz I could probably fill most of a book with some combination of the two.

;)

Judy Harder

Quote from: Kermit on July 23, 2007, 01:26:18 PM
Rudy, I had plumb forgotten that one.

Car sounds probably don't work for the ladies among us, but they almost certainly do for all us guys. There were wonderful sounds (Rudy's exhaust sound, for example) and horrible sounds (like a clacking lifter, for example) that most of us remember. I'm not going to dwell on it, cuz I could probably fill most of a book with some combination of the two.

;)
Guys

I beg to differ...........except he kept getting in trouble with it, (tickets, etc) I loved hearing the glass packs?that my youngest son use to have on one of his trucks.
I also like to hear the JAKE-breaks (is that how to spell it) that the semi's use.........not sure what they are doing, slowing down I think.......but it makes my heart go pitter-patt.
Also I love the air horns of the big boys........I always wished I had stayed healthy, I would have loved being an overthe road driver......I can enjoy them from the "peanut gallery"

Oh, I also love to here the low notes  being sung..........bass  singers or bass guitars are  always fun to listen too.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

kdfrawg

The couple that lived across Nevada Street from me in Moss Beach were both high school teachers (math and phys ed) plus he was the baseball coach. I heard a bunch of racket out in front of my house one day, and there they were, each with a shiny new blue cabover Peterbilt. His had a phony license plate in the back window that said "Coach" and she had a matching one that said "Crash."

Turns out they had both gotten tired of teaching, and principals, and paperwork. They had taken out loans and gotten the two trucks, after going to trucking school nights and weekends. I don't think they ever regretted it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk