POHL, Dale - b. May 19, 1936 - d. July 16, 2007

Started by Janet Harrington, July 18, 2007, 08:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

(Taken from the Flint Hills Express, July 18, 2007, page 3)

Dale Pohl, 71, of Las Cruces, N.M., formerly of Eureka, died Monday, July 16, 2007, at his home in Las Cruces.

For 33 years he practiced law in Eureka and became a district judge in 1999, serving in that position until 2004.

Funeral services are scheduled for 11 a.m., on Friday, July 20 at the Peace Lutheran Church in Las Cruces, N.M.

A memorial service was held at the Christ Lutheran Church in Eureka, at 2 p.m., Tuesday, July 24.  (Yes, it said was, not will be.)

Dale Pohl was born May 19, 1936, in Emporia, the son of Verna C. (Haake) and Gus O. Pohl.

He graduated from Emporia High School in 1954 and graduated with honors from Emporia State University in 1957, completing his education in three years by taking extra hours while working three part-time jobs.

He received his master of public administration from the University of Kansas in 1959 and went on to earn his jurist doctorate from Washburn University in 1963 and began his private practice in Eureka.

During his private practice he served as the city attorney for 33 years and as the Greenwood County counselor.

He served on the Kansas Board of Governors of the Kansas Bar Association and was elected president of that organization in 1989.  He also served on the board of directors of Kansas Blue Cross/Blue Shield where he was vice president of the board.

He was appointed by Governor Bill Graves as District Judge of the 13th District in June 1999 and held that position until his retirement in June 2004.  Upon his retirement, the couple moved to Las Cruces, N. M.

In addition to his public offices he was president of the Eureka School Board, served as president of the church council at Christ Lutheran in Eureka and was on the board of many civic and charitable organizations.

He was untied in marriage to Diana Darden on July 27, 1980, and together they raised five children.

He loved golf, fishing, hunting, hiking and traveling and was a supporter of Jayhawk football and basketball.

He is survived by his wife, of the home; children, Pam Close and her husband, Jay, of The Woodlands, Texas; Scott Pohl and his wife, Kim, of Wichita, Ken Pohl and his wife, Cynthia, of Clearwater, Fla., Ryan Darden of New York, New York and Aaron Darden of San Francisco, Calif. and six grandchildren, Katelyn Scates, Lynna Scates, Logan Pohl, Austin Pohl, Sarah Pohl and Rachel Pohl.

A memorial has been established with the Boarder Servant Corps of Law Cruces, through Peace Lutheran Church, 1701 East Missouri Ave., Las Cruces, N.M. 88001.  Donations in his memory can be sent to the above address or P.O. Box 590, Eureka, KS 67045.

Ole Granny

My husband graduated from Emporia High School with Dale.  Great guy!  Terrific basketball player in high school.  Early lawyer years he was attorney for Becker Oil.  Frank Becker was also in the Class of 54 (Emporia).  John Petersen, who worked at Howard Bank for a number of years, was also a classmate.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Janet Harrington

John Petersen has moved to Enid, OK to work in a bank.  The phone number that I had for him has been disconnected.  Does your husband have his phone number?  Is there a chance you might see him at Pohl's memorial service?  If so, could you get his cell phone number and e-mail it to me or give John my e-mail address - janet_harrington@sbcglobal.net

When I was getting my Master's degree, I would stay with John and Bert on weekends, so I could travel to Topeka and not have to stay in a motel.  I loved Bert with all my heart.  Love John, too, but Bert was easier to love.  ha ha If you know John, you will know just what I mean.

Ole Granny

Janet,

My husband's nephew has emailed you and John so he should receive your email address.

Nephew and his late wife, Carolyn, were great friends with Bert and John.  Carolyn also graduated in the Class of 54.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Janet Harrington

Yes, I got the e-mail from Larry.  I hope I get one from John soon.  John called me when he decided to take that job in Enid and wanted to give me Bert's dog.  There was just no way I could do that even though I loved Tipper with all my heart.  It made me sad.  However; the last I knew, Steven was going to live in John's house and take care of Tipper until the house sold.  Then I assumed that Tipper would go with Steven.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk