Name That Baby

Started by dandymomma, July 13, 2007, 08:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

But you didn't break the rules with any of that...it works fine. But if you spell it Arlooona, with three Os, and then insist its pronounced Arlana....then what?  I have had to make phone calls to people, when I had no idea how to decode their name. And I'm talking about Americans, who were very nasty when I stumbled over their name.   People from other countries obviously have different rules about spelling and pronuncation, but I expect they are consistant. Of course, everyone can be creative as they want and when the little boy's name is "Wyoming,"  that's fine.... but then don't tell me its pronounced "Bobby." I would really feel betrayed. I was responding to Frawg's comment about just seeming to toss some letters together with a few caps and apostrophies and calling it a name. How would you pronounce Hja'QuaMzl?

kdfrawg

< applause for Diane >

Exactly.

;D

Jo McDonald

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

dandymomma

Quote from: Diane Amberg on July 18, 2007, 09:40:19 AM
My friend, who goes by "AJ," is Andrew Jonathan. 

My son is Andrew James

Diane Amberg

That's a very nice name. I think I accidentally angered DLD. I think she thought I was responding to her, when I was actually responding to something Frawg had said earlier. I think modern names are great, as long as I can figure out how to read them

dandymomma

My son had a class mate this year named Ra'anishque. That poor, poor child. :(

MarineMom

In my early days of daycare I had a child whose surname was Book. Her parents thought they were being cute and named her Paige which by itself was not to bad but then they gave her the middle name of Ina but mispronounced it and proudly introduced the poor little girl as Paige "Inna" Book she was 7-9 when I knew her and endured a lot of teasing at school over her name.

flo

This name is not unusual anymore, however the spelling is several different ways.  One humorous antidote I'll pass along.  I have a granddaughter named Cheyenne, which was not all that common when she was born.  My sister called shortly after Cheyenne's birth to ask what her name was and I told her Cheyenne Nicole.  She laughed, cause our step-mother had called to relay the news to her and told her that the baby's name was Commanche. Guess she thought "indian" and that's all she could come up with.  We, and her, had a good laugh afterwards. 
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Diane Amberg

Now that's funny! I hope DLD will forgive me....I did not mean those kinds of names. Dandymomma understands. Her example is exactly what I mean. I had a Da'Shone once. How would you pronounce that if you didn't already know?      Duh-shawn?   Duh-shown?    Nope, it was pronounced Dash-one! Nobody is ever going to read that child's name and ever get it right the first time. He better have a life- long good sense of humor.     

kfclark

I know of a family last name Lee.
I can't remember exactly the Three daughters' names but they were something like

Michelle Love Lee
Jessica Patient Lee
Corrine Sweet Lee

When they had their last child, a long anticipated boy, they gave him the name...
Michael Final Lee
Check out my family history Website http://home.austin.rr.com/clarkdentongen/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk