Chuckles

Started by flo, June 29, 2007, 03:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Good morning all. Now that is one cute joke. ;D

Diane Amberg

Mrs.Momma, kids do love knock-knock jokes don't they? Sometimes we'd flip word parts around and see what happened. It's great phonics practice. Many are totally silly and others are cute. Butterflies become flutterbys....typewriters are writetypers...peanut butter=beanut putter... butter the toast becomes toast the butter ( that one really creates a funny picture in your mind....and came from one of the kids!)     

kdfrawg

I knew I was a kid at heart. I do that all the time, just because I like the sound of it. My wife, however, is driven crazy by it. Well, that's what she claims did it. It is even possible to move the syllables around in a more creative way. For example, you can wind up singing the wonderful Beatles tune:

Winthedral Cachester.

;D

Diane Amberg

Yas, tis funny, that is. My sister used to slip a lot accidentally. Lunder and thighting and my all time dinner favorite....post rot.... She got very sensitive about it and I would try not to laugh, but I usually couldn't control it. I don't think she ever really understood that I wasn't laughing at HER, just the funny words!   

Mom70x7

Verbal Dyslexia

That's what Jim says I have - because when I speak I also can do a good job of getting the words mixed up. Don't know if it's a legitimate diagnosis, but it sure fits what y'all are talking about.

kdfrawg

That's a great name for it, Mom70x7! It's usually a lot of fun. Sometimes, though, you will get halfway through one of them and notice that second half is something that you should not be saying, which is sort of embarrassing.

:-[

Diane Amberg

I was lucky enough to visit the real "Winthedral Cachester.'' Winchester is a wonderful old city.... has King Arthur's round table up on the wall. At least that's what they insist it is.( Ahem.)....We stayed at a wonderful family B&B. Ate with the family at breakfast. "Mom" wanted to know if we wanted to eat American or would we eat " a proper British breakfast.'' Well, I've never been known to push food away... So it was Gammon and eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and toast.  It was across Guy Fawkes, so we joined in. As we were walking up a hill to see the fireworks, a group of teenaged girls were walking down. One of them said , to nobody in particular, "I know there's a fish & chips shop near here somewhere.'' I  responded, "It's on the left, at the bottom of the hill." She stopped, looked at me, quite shocked, and said,"YOU'RE AMERICANS!" I didn't know whether to smile or hide. Great memories.

kdfrawg

I did a fair amount of consulting for Barclay's Bank in the eighties, so I have had the priveledge of spending quite a bit of time in Great Britain. I generally enjoyed those stays very much. It's always pleasant, of course, to travel to a foeign land where the natives more or less speak your language.

;D

MarineMom

Quote from: Diane Amberg on July 17, 2007, 02:13:59 PM
So it was Gammon and eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and toast. 

There should have been a "fried slice" on there as well ;)

MarineMom

Quote from: kdfrawg on July 17, 2007, 03:28:53 PM
foeign land where the natives more or less speak your language.

;D

was it Winston Churchill who said we are "separated by a common language"?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk