Grocery Prices 1953

Started by kfclark, June 05, 2007, 12:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo McDonald

Well, frawg... I was born poor- raised poor and honestly didn't even know it until much later in life.  Were we happy????  Oh  you betcha !!  My Mama could take an old hen - and when it was put on the table -- all smothered in cream - with noodles on the side and mashed potatoes, green beans and her wonderful home made bread..Then a cake or pie --- you sure didn't think poor.  She was an awesome cook.   But my favorite breakfasts were  fried mush with apple jelly --- pancakes with home churned butter and soft fried eggs  -- or  thick slices of home made bread toast - browned on top of the wood burning cook stove [ there was NO electricity } and hot mild w/ lots of butter melted init.  But my very very favorite was  -- right after we had butchered a hog - We had fresh pork tenderloin fried and then pure seperated cream poured in the skillet with the brown fryings from the meat and Mama's home made biscuits.   Ohhhhhhhh   me or my !!!
Holy Buckets --- I AM SO DARN HUNGRY   It is all your fault.....whine whine  lol lol lol
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Jo McDonald

Well.....it shows that I did not proof read my last post.   lol   Hot milk on the toast  not   Hot Mild...
Jeepers 
Then    oh me --  oh my   ~~~~~~~oh well, the ends of my fingers don't see too well, at times   
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

kdfrawg

Heck, Jo, you type just fine. Anyway, by now, I read fluent Typo. I know I make enough of them myself. And I'm with you on the hungries. All this talk about good food has got me about starving. We'll have to do something about that pretty quick...

Janet Harrington

Mother used to make us something that we called "Stick to My Ribs".  I think she made it from eggs and sugar.  We ate it hot like cereal and usually had it on a Sunday night.  You could pour milk on it and put sugar and cinnamon on it, if you wanted.  I haven't had any for a long, long time.  Wonder if Mother could still make it?  Wonder if I would still like it?

Wilma

I can still make it and if I ever get my memoirs finished you will have the recipe for it.

Janet Harrington

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk