June 1 Storm

Started by Mom70x7, June 01, 2007, 07:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddurbin

After seeing the recent photos of Elk River at the Elk Falls bridge, it seems appropriate to post this article here.

from THE HOWARD COUNTY LEDGER, Elk Falls, Kansas   Sept. 10, 1874
The engine at Mr. Hull's mill is in position and the mill will be started today.  A little more rain and there will be water enough to run the mill and the steam engine will have to lie idle.

Wilma

What wonderful pictures  and wonderful people for taking them and posting them so I can see them.  I especially admire the HERO up on the light pole with the storm in the background.  We are so lucky to have him.  Thank you, Sam.  What would Howard do without you?

Janet Harrington

Howard would be more in the dark than they already are without Sam.  Ha Ha

Those pictures are great.  I had no idea how much rain we had as I was in Wichita when this all took place.

Mom70X7, I'm so sorry for all the electricity problems, etc. you are having.  What a troublesome time for you both. 

Teresa

Quote from: Janet Harrington on June 03, 2007, 08:12:51 AM

Mom70X7, I'm so sorry for all the electricity problems, etc. you are having.  What a troublesome time for you both. 

Where are MY manners~~ :-[
I am sorry that you all are having so many problems with your electrical equipment. It isn't cheap when things like that happen.
((Buuuut you Do get a bigger TV)) THAT is KOOL. ;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

Me, too, Mom, your problems make the loss of my TV last summer insignificant.  BUT, I have a solution that guarantees the rain will stop.  I had a rain guage put up this morning where I can see it without going outside.  That should make it stop raining.

Teresa

It must be working.
Hasn't it been a grand last 2 days?
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

indygal

Zowie.....after seeing those pics, I'm grateful we had only about an inch of water seep into the east end of the basement at Harmony. Of course, that's the end where the bathrooms are and of course on Friday I decided to paint the bathroom floors (before the storm hit), so navigating to the bathroom was an interesting experience that night. We spoke with Knute Saturday afternoon and he said storms like that one come around about every six years. I'm holding him to his word on that!

Mom70x7

Wilma -

That rain gauge thing might work . . . unless you put it up in the middle of your "pond."  :D   :D   :D

Wilma

I had it installed on the rail of the front porch where I can see it without having to go outside.  My readings won't always be accurate because of the trees on that side, but it will give me an idea of how much rain we get.

Mom70x7

That should work   :).

So . . . we picked up a television this weekend (some great sales  ;)), so Jim can watch his Yankees.

We bring it home - it works! Except that it's in French, only has 6 channels and no remote, so we can't get to the menu feature. We connect it to our VCR, and are able to get all the cable channels. Running it through the VCR also gives us English, thank you very much. But we can no longer tape a program and watch another one.  :(

I guess we'll look for some more tvs.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk