Hubbell's Jewelry Store

Started by genealogynut, May 11, 2007, 03:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

This subject ended up on the genealogy board, but thought I'd best start a new thread on a different board.  Continuing the conversation Ta Ta, I believe you are right about Hubbell's jewelry store being where Jean Gray is now.  Only at that time, there was no partition between what is now the craft shop and barber shop.  Hubbell must have sold out to Bartlett, as that is what I knew it by, as a kid.  Then just next door south of that, if I remember right, was Crowell's Cafe.

frawin

Clarence Lister had a locker in the back of Crowell's which was more convenient than having to go down to the slaughter house & locker which was down by the ice plant.
mlw

genealogynut

Thanks, for mentioning that, and I remember the locker being there, too.  This is for the "younger set,"  --the location is where the drug store is now, formerly Batson's gift shop.  I remember the old post office being there on the corner and it was painted the ugliest yellow - orange color (so I thought), I remember thinking at the time just how ugly the color was, and wondered who chose the paint. And Waldo Gray's barber shop was down below the Post office in a basement.

genealogynut

Mr. Know-It-All (Don) tells me that I am wrong! :laugh: :laugh:  Mr. Bartlett did not buy the jewelry store from Hubbell.  Apparently Mr. Hubbell must have sold it to Moon-Gill (Doc Moon and Ernest Gill) and THEN it was sold to Mr. Bartlett, after Mr. Bartlett had sold his grocery store to John West. The grocery store was located on the east side of the street and is now an empty lot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk