Old Elk Falls Mill Is Torn Down

Started by genealogynut, May 09, 2007, 12:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant
December 11, 1913

The Old Elk Falls Mill Is Torn Down

H. L. Neeland and a force of men are utilizing every dry movement in tearing away the old mill building which Mr. Neeland recently purchased and which he will move to the south side of the river and reconstruction it into a fine large breeding stable.  And thus goes another "last land mark."

The old mill was at one time one of the largest flouring mills in this part of the state and was perhaps the last one to be put out of business by the large milling interests that now control the entire milling business of the country.

If the weather permits, next week will witness the finishing work of the wrecking crew and then there will be no old mill--not be a dam site--Elk Falls Reflector.

The Elk Falls mill was built in 1872-3 and was widely patronized.  Elijah A. Hall was its proprietor when I first knew anything about it.  A saw mill was run in connection with it, in fact I believe the saw mill was running before the flouring mill was built.  When I came to Elk Falls from Old Boston, early in '75, George Mainprize was mechanical manager of the mill, and part proprietor, John Webb of Old Boston, was the Miller for quite a while.  The mill was not a paying proposition, owing perhaps to bad management, and passed through several hands, the Longfellows among others taking a whack at it.  In the early eighties it was converted into a roller process mill by Winfield parties, but did not pan out.  A cob pipe factory was one of the diversions of the mill, and after a few more struggles it gave up the ghost, though corn grinding was done there at intervals.  But for many years it has been "a ruined remains" of a once busy institution.  The mill dam has been allowed to decay and wash out, and now the water falls is all that is left.--the Elk Falls.--------Polk Daniels.

W. Gray

In March, we went down to the falls and I walked down below the bridge to the river bank where there is a large flat rocky area. There were a number of iron bolts embedded in the rock, which may have been used to anchor one side of the mill (there is a picture in the Elk County history book).

I am not sure if that was what they were for but it looked like they were used at one time for something serious.

On my last trip in early May, that area was under water.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Flintauqua

There was once a mill on the Wildcat east of Moline and above the Quarry.  Brother Dan has all the particulars on who ran it and such, but in looking at many maps, inquiring of the land owners along the creek, and personal "on the ground" knowledge of the area, Dan and I can only surmise that the mill must have been right where the previous half moon bridge stood or the current bridge stands now. 

Does anyone have any info the prove us incorrect?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk