ROLL CALL TO ALL MEMBERS !!!!

Started by Teresa, May 05, 2007, 10:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonardcrl

Okay I'm Back - This is getting to be a bit addictive.

Frank Winn:  Re: Your sister Charlene.  Ah yes! I had completely forgotten about her.  She was not at the reunion in 2002 or this year.  But I remember she was a slim pretty little thing who was totally in love with some guy from Moline whose name I can't recall.

Jo McDonald:  Re: My Mother and Mary Ellen Snodderly.  Yes they were sisters. Albert and Edith Andrews had seven children.  My mother, Emaline, was the oldest and Mary Ellen was the sixth and last of five daughters. 

Waldo Gray:
   Re:  Slim Gray - He was my first barber and his barber shop was one of the gathering places where the men of the town discussed the matters of the day.  This function floated between the Gray Barber Shop, the Hitckock Western Auto Store, Browns Feed Store and Hebbs Garage. I have similiar interest in the Howard County and the "County Seat" wars. However I got my information from the stories I heard as a kid at these gatherings and the occasional article in the Howard Courant-Citizen by Fred Flory. I found some of those articles in the KU library reference in an unpublished work. They have probably been moved to the Spencer Library Kansas collection. But you've probably already found them

This Coffee Shop reminds me a little bit of those gatherings.  Of course they were men only in that time  :).  The ladies had the Reading Club, the Helping Hand club, and couple of others that I can't recall.  The old party line telephone system (the internet of the day) helped to spread the gossip more than the (formal or informal) meetings.  ;D

Regards
-=Carl=-
San Antonio Tx.

frawin

Carl, Iam trying to recall all of the Andrews family, I remember your Mother, Bernadine, Beulah, and Mary Ellen but for the life of me I can't think of 3 more. I spent lots of time talking to Fred and Beulah, I delivered their paper and they lived on the way home from school and town. Fred gave me lots of great philosophical wisdom.
Frank Winn

Rudy Taylor

Just wanted to welcome Tobina Norris!  Hope you post often and develop a sense of wackery that is common in this forum.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Wilma

concerning reply #197, Mr. Bob Nighswonger.  My sister finally replied to my query about him.  She says he was older than her and was a brother to her husband's brother-in-law.  It wasn't his family that lived in Elk County for awhile.  But I think all the Nighswonger families were related and right now I can count 4 families.

frawin

Paul Nighswonger's son Roger lives in Wichita, or at least did. he was originally married to Linda Bryan. Mrs. Paul Nighswonger's daughter lives here in Midland Texas. In fact I used to office next door to her husband and bought his crude oil. I will ask her how they fit in with any other Nighswongers that were in Elk County. Paul lived in the house that was across the street from J Farr Brown or the old Dick Dennett place, and Paul farmed the land behind Johhn Senior Garrison's. Paul sold his place and the land on the creek to Willard Simpson and Willaed and Marjorie moved into the house across from J. Farr Brown. Mrs Nighswonger was my Sunday School teacher at the Methodist Church. They were the only Nighswonger's I remember in Howard. There may have been others before my time.
Frank

Wilma

My Nighswongers were from Sedgwick County.  Do you know when they came to Elk County and when they left?  The Paul Nighswonger that was from Sedgwick County is surely gone by now as he was older than my father in the early 40's.  I think all the Nighswonger parents were older than my parents at that time.

frawin

Wilma, I first remember Paul Nighswonger that I knew sometime in the late 1940s and the left sometime after Rogrer graduated from Howard High, Roger graduated in 1953 I think it was. I don't know that I ever knew where they came from before Howard. Paul was probably in his 60s in the early 50s.
Frank

Wilma

That sounds about right.  The Roger I knew was younger than my younger brother and my brother graduated in 1950.  I know someone I could ask, but he isn't on line and a telephone call to him costs so much that I wait for him to call me.  Mayhaps I should write him a letter.  It would be much cheaper.

Leonardcrl

Re: Reply #244 by FRWINN

Being a newbie I'm not sure about the protocol for replying to specific posts.  But I'll continue to add to the length of this thread.

Frank you met all the Andrews family that stayed around Howard - All the rest moved out of town.  And I miscounted.  The Albert & Edith Andrews had nine children.  The last four all sort of blurred into the crowd of cousins that were around since they were all in the same cohort.  For a tail end kid like me it was tough to remember who were Uncles and Aunts and not real cousins.

I can put together a list that I'll stick over on the Good Old Days section  If anybody is interested.

Regards
-=Carl=-
San Antonio Tx.

Teresa

Somebody is always interested. We have about 1,000 people filtering in and out of the forum, so I am sure that lots of folks will find it something to look into.
Thanks for taking an interest  :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk