ROLL CALL TO ALL MEMBERS !!!!

Started by Teresa, May 05, 2007, 10:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo McDonald

To Carol Leonard:
Were your Mother and Mary Ellen Snodderly sisters?  Was your Father Pete Leonard?  If so,
Fred drove the  butane/propane truck and delivered LP gas to your parents.  Mary Ellen and I were good friends.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

W. Gray

For Carl Leonard,

I do have an interest in Elk County history but am keener about Howard County, although many times the history is one in the same. I have had a few articles printed in the Flint Hills Express on both.

I would have been born in Howard except for a problem and my Mom wound up riding to the long gone Eureka hospital with Dr. Depew. My sister was born in Howard in the Wabash Street house that Rose Nix Leo later occupied.

I was around four when we moved away but with both sets of grandparents and several uncles and aunts in the area, we came back for frequent visits. My folks moved back to Howard in 89.

Most every time my Uncle introduced me to someone as Brother Jack's boy, they always seemed to remember Jack Gray, my father. However, their knowledge could have been tempered by them knowing Slim Gray, my grandfather and a character in his own right.

I bought an Elk County history book when first published by Ethel Yantis and company. However, I did not get around to reading it until around 1998, or so. The more I read, the more interested I became.  What really received my attention was the section on "Old Boston" and the county seat war. I have since learned that war was one of the most expensive county seat wars in American history when judged from a time and resources lost perspective.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

Waldo, it is good to see you posting again.  I kind of missed you for awhile.  My husband would have gotten a kick out of knowing his barbers' grandson and nephew.  Yes, he patronized both of them.

I have enjoyed the postings you do about Elk County and hope you keep contributing.  Also the items you send to the paper.  You surely won't run out of material.

Da Blond

Well Hiya from Little old New Zealand.
Most of you, well ok, all of you won't know me, but I am a blond, a true blue kiwi blond.
I have not posted here for a lifetime because I forget my password,
yup that's how blond I am, I an what we in this country call, a thick head, mother of 9 bout as thick as a plank lol  lol.
Anyway Teresa knows me.  We met quite by accident on the net many many years ago, 
Anyway my name is Ida, I am 49, birthday was on the 17th ...one more yr to hit a half ton oh yea :-[ never mind, i am married to Chris, an angel, mother of wayyyyyyy to many kids and have a granddaughter who steals my heart each time I see her, I have 2 dogs that are driving me mad, one a 5 yr old Rottweiler named Koa, and a psychopathic nut job, German Shepherd named Sabre he is 8 months old and will be lucky to make it to his 1st year!!! There is nothing he hasn't eaten, GRRR.
Anyway it is winter in this neck of the woods, cold miserable muddy and we have had more rain then you could think a little country like this could hold!!!!
I live in Auckland, anyone been to New Zealand??
When I get the hang of this I will share some pics but I am sure Missy T will tell me I posted the wrong way and holler at me lololol
Thanks for listening, nice to meet you all!!!!
Ida

flo

well, da blond, nice to meet you and glad to read about your "family".  Sounds like a great sense of humor you have.  Might add that I'm a blonde, well used to be anyhow, but now me and L'oreal have a good thing going.  Let us hear more from you
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Rudy Taylor

Hi, Ida!  Good to hear from a friend in Auckland.  While I've never been to New Zealand, I understand it is beautiful, not unlike our own Kansas Flint Hills where Elk County is located. We have rolling prairies, gorgeous sunsets, friendly rattlesnakes, old-fashioned values and the kindest people you'll ever meet.

So, post often, OK?

And don't worry about forgetting your password. Just tell Teresa and she'll refresh your memory. (That's scary ... a blonde refreshing the memory of a blonde!).

It truly is "a wonderful life."

flo

flo

just fyi I have opened a "comments to roll call" for our, just that, comments to bio's listed. 

Kjell H.

That was great of you to take the initiative to do that.
Nice going flo. :)

But you do realize that it will probably become a hodge podge of things too.  ;)

But I guess if it was all nice and neatly organized, it would be a stiff and boring place to be.

In a forum such as this , and in any type of forum for that matter, there is such a wonderful mix of personality's and people's thoughts that it is more than impossible to keep everyone on the tract that someone else thinks that they should be on.  :D

But once again, it's a great start to at least try to keep things where the newcomers can more easily find their way around.
Marshal Halloway

flo

that was my thinking, but the best laid plans of mice and men . . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk