Mullendore Murder Case

Started by genealogynut, April 05, 2007, 01:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

I am posting this on behalf of forum member, Jody.  She would like to suggest to people who are interested in murder mysteries to read the book Mullendore Murder Case, written by Jonathan Kwitny.

It's supposed to be a true murder story that happened about 1970, that still remains unsolved.  It took place in northern Oklahoma.  E. C. Mullendore had a huge ranch that covered large areas of ranch land in northeastern Oklahoma and southeastern Kansas.  I understand he was rather wealthy.

I checked the online catalog and the book is supposedly available at the Howard City library, and thru the inter-library loan.  As for myself......I do not read murder mysteries.......I have plenty of nightmares the way it is.

Was E. C. Mullendore related to Noel Mullendore?   If so, how?

Janet Harrington

I have no idea if E.C. Mullendore was related to Noel Mullendore.  I hope the library does have that book.  It is a hard one to find.  I have a copy that I would never let anyone borrow.  Sorry.  I do not believe that you can find that book to buy anymore without paying an awful price for it.

Dee Gee

E. C.'s dad was a cousin of Noel Mullendore, he is also related to the Mullendore's that lived in Howard.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

genealogynut

Yes, the book can still be purchased if one wants to pay "an arm and a leg."  I noticed on Amazon.com and e-bay where the book was selling for $150-$200!!!!  The author of that book died in the late 1990s.

Thanks DeeGee, for answering my question.

Teresa

Quote from: Lois Morgan on April 05, 2007, 03:30:55 PM
the book was selling for $150-$200!!!! 

TA TA!!!!! :o :o  $200 for a book??

(((whisper mode on))).. You and I could go on a vacation without Kjell or Jim.. all you have to do is sell the book and ..WALLA... by next week,we can be on a warm beach somewhere sipping something exotic with an umbrella in it...((((whisper mode off)))

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

genealogynut

I have done some further price checking on the Mullendore Murder Case.  For a well used paperback, the price may be just a few dollars, but for a nice hardback, they were talking "big bucks."  Someone had it listed for sale in the Bartlesville Classifieds and was asking $300 for the copy!  So I would guess it just depends on how bad a person wants a copy and whether they want a paperback or hard copy and what condition the book is in.

Teresa

A few dollars??!?? ???
Well Poop... that takes care of the vacation...  :(
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

genealogynut

"If" I were looking to buy the book (which, I am not), I wouldn't want a "well used" copy, as my definition of "well used" is one that is torn, dog eared, yellowed with age, hasn't been taken care of, had drinks spilled on it, etc. and in lousy condition.  Books in that condition are lucky to be sold at all.  In buying a book of my expectations, from what I've seen on the internet, would cost a fortune.   Of course, there is always the possibility that one may be found at some yard/garage sale, where the folks don't know what it's worth and sell the book real cheap, just to get rid of it.

ddurbin

When the paperback version first came out, I bought a copy.  I was somewhat familiar with the Mullendore ranch and knew of the murder and all the intrigue surrounding it.  Made the mistake of loaning my copy and never got it back.  A few years ago here in Winfield at Art in the Park I ran across a hard-bound copy at the Winfield Library's book sale.  Got it for $.50   Bargains are still out there if you're in the right place at the right time.

Janet Harrington

Well, Dan Durbin, you are such a lucky guy.  The paperback version that I have is old, kinda ragged, but not that bad.  I can't even remember where I got it.  I just know that I won't sell it and I won't loan it out because I don't think it could stand someone reading it.

I also have an old paperback book titled "Anne Frank's Diary".  I have had it for years and it is one that I cannot lend because I wouldn't want it coming apart.  However; they have reprinted "Anne Frank's Diary", so I wouldn't think that an old one would be worth much money.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk