I went to school when:

Started by Wilma, April 03, 2007, 04:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

I went to school when:

The day started with the Pledge of Allegiance, followed by the Lord's Prayer.

World War 2 wasn't a part of history.  It was current events.

Every freshman girl took Home Ec. and every freshman boy took Manual Training.

We didn't have Phys. Ed.  We had recess and the noon hour.

We didn't have a lunch room.  The ones who could went home for lunch.  The rest brought their lunch and ate wherever they wanted.

We didn't have school buses.  We had 2 feet and walked, sometimes many miles.

The coach and the music teacher taught other classes, also.

After school activities consisted of going home, doing chores and maybe a quick ball game before the evening paper arrived in town to be delivered to our customers.

Homework was done in study hall because that was why we had study hall.

Boys competed in football, basketball and track.  Girls cheered.

Girls wore skirts.  Boys wore bib overalls.

Now, I am not saying that this was better than what we have today.  There are a lot of advantages to today's schools.  The children can get a far more rounded education than what was available in ancient times.  But, you have to admit, that a lot has been lost, too.

Janet Harrington

I went to school when...
       Jeans could only be worn on Fridays and I don't think that was every Friday.

Skirts were so short you wondered what you were showing when you bent over.

We had open lunch hour where you could go to the lunch room, home, the drugstore, or the pool hall.  However, girls did not go in the pool hall.  Only the boys.

Girls took Home Ec (sewing and cooking) and boys took Ag.  To have a talk about sex, girls went to one room and boys went to another.

I'm sure that Ms. T can come up with more.

Wilma

I wondered if that was Uncle Bill's picture.

MarineMom

I went to school when

The girls principal walked around with a ruler in her hand making us kneel down so she could measure the gap between floor and skirt more than 2" and home you went. (or you unrolled the waistband and rolled it back up when she was gone)

If you you got sent to the principals office they had a board that they used and then when we went home our parents used another one in the same place. (time out had not been invented yet lol)

Kids stood whenever an adult entered the room and remained standing until told they could sit.

All teachers where named Sir or Ma'am

School was never cancelled because of "inclement weather" In town kids walked to school as usual out of town kids got to stay home and make up the work they missed over the weekend.

We did not spend the week before a test reviewing what we had done, it was assumed that we had retained what they taught us and if we didn't then we failed the class and got to do it over again.

Teresa

I went to school when.......................

* You had to set in Pep Club and actually help the cheerleaders cheer and chant during the whole game. Mrs Barnaby and Mrs. Vinette only let you get up after half time was kind of over.. and then we could only go in "shifts".
( had to have a pep club yelling all the time for the team, ya know..)

* When study hall was an hour of being in the library. You could either study, laugh at Rick Lanning, or watch Mr. Davis pick his nose. (  ;D)

*Jeans could never be worn even when it was bitter cold. (( Ta Ta was younger than me..and the rules changed a bit))

* Band was always in the mornings before school and you took pride in playing and marching at halftime for your school. Pep rally's were every Friday and someone always did a skit where they made fun of one of the teachers. And the teachers laughed..

* Boys could carry pocket knives in their pockets and their rifles in their gun racks of their trucks parked on the school ground.

* The only thing we did was smoke cigarettes and drink beer and on Prom night "purple passion".
Didn't have a clue what marrijuanna or drugs other than aspirin was...
And if you had a headache, you could go in the office and get aspirin out of the desk if you neded it.

* We had P E gym class( girls and boys seperate hours of course) and played dodge ball, kick ball, whiffle ball and sometimes we girls got to play volley ball, but then we didn't have a team.. only played it in PE hour.

* And don't forget the old radiators that make all that noise when they were heating up.
Had to sit right by them to be really warm...
And no a/c .. ( the third floor was horrible hot) if you got to sit by the  window you were lucky in the summer..

(((I could add tons more.. but I will give the floor to someone else.))) :)

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Dee Gee

When the school house was one room when all eight grades in the room.

When the teacher arrived at the school in the winter her first job was to get the coal stove fired up and the room warm for the kids.

Our study hall was the time when the teacher had another classes down front and working with them.

And yes, we walked to school or rode bikes with pedal power.

I also remembered trading sandwichs with other kids so I could have store brought bread instead of home baked bread and both of us thought we got the best end of the deal.

Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Wilma

I used to like that store bought bread, too, but now I kind of like the bread I bake.  Note, I said bake, not make.  I buy the frozen loaves of unbaked bread.  They aren't as good as Mother's but are better than store bought.

Jane

When we moved to the country, I started school in a two room school house. If you needed to use the restroom you went to the OUTHOUSE. I cannot remember how it was heated but in the spring all the windows and doors were open. We had more the one wild vermit show up at the door.
Both teachers went out side at recess unless someone was sick. The meals were cooked at the High School. Everything was fixed by hand. I can still remember the smell of fresh bread when you walked in the door. The boys were always served more because they had to go home and help their dads in the field.
This is the same place that is now just 15 miles out of Topeka, KS. I went by the other day and they had torn the two room school house down. I did feel like a part of history went with it.
Army Mom

Janet Harrington

Quote from: Teresa on April 04, 2007, 10:37:47 PM

*Jeans could never be worn even when it was bitter cold. (( Ta Ta was younger than me..and the rules changed a bit))

Yes, yes, yes.  She admits, publically admits, that I, Ta Ta, am younger than Ms. T.  hahahahahahahahaha

genealogynut

When pregnant teenage girls were either sent out of town to a relatives home or to an un-wed mother's home to have the baby.  Being unwed and pregnant, was a definite "no-no" in society.

Girls were taught in Home Economics that it was not acceptable to telephone any guy/boyfriend.  We were told that was considered as "chasing them."

While I was in school, older men were referred to as "Mr." and women as "Ma'am" or Miss/Mrs. _______ (surname).

Women's Lib was unheard of............and sexual harrassment....what's that?  We'd never heard of that either.

We were taught manners/etiquette, and consideration for others.

There were no sex education classes.

Teachers were allowed to swat you with a paddle for misbehaving.

On TV, some of the popular programs of that era were Bonanza, American Bandstand, Leave It To Beaver, Andy Griffith Show,and  Father Knows Best, just to name a few.

The girls wore can-cans, hoop skirts, poodle skirts, penny loafers, and saddle oxfords, and hula-hoops were the rage, along with Elvis Presley.

Our records were either in the album 33 rpm size, and the single records were 45 rpm. (discs)  Hamburgers were the popular fast food among the young people.

Now.....it someone else's turn.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk