Cemetary Northwest of Howard

Started by CrumCowgirlMama, March 01, 2007, 12:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrumCowgirlMama

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on a small cemetary that sets on the east side of Road 14 out here north of Howard. It's on some family property and we've walked through it many times. It's neat to look at some of the old tombstones. It's it pretty sad condition, as it is all grown over with trees and such. I'll see if I can get back in there when the weather gets nicer again and get some names off of the stones, or even some pictures. But I was just wondering if anyone else knew of this cemetary or if it once had a name.

Wilma

What east-west road is close to it?  I am not recalling any cemetaries on that road.  maybe the Jacobs would know something about it.

genealogynut

What I would like to strongly urge you to do, is to contact Neva Walter in the Register of Deeds office and see if she has any data on the location of that cemetery.  If not, I am sure she would like to have the cemetery "read."  (Names/dates and anything else that may be on the stones).

CrumCowgirlMama

It is right off of Road 14, you can see it if you know what to look for from the road. Road 14 runs north & south. But the closest east and west roads would be Pioneer (being the closest to it), and then Quail. Boy, that's confusing.

Wilma

Am I right that Rd. 14 and Rockl is where Joetta and Dan Miller live?  Then the cemetary would be about 2 miles south of there?  In all the years that we have driven that road, I don't remember anything looking like an old cemetary.  This is something I am going to have to look up when I can get out again.  The 1903 map I have shows a church and cemetary 1/2 mile south of Rock and Rd. 14 and I have never seen anything there that looks like either.

CrumCowgirlMama

Dan & Joetta Miller are Billy's grandparents and they do live at that location. Our new house is also on Road 14 about a half mile south of the Rock Rd/Road 14 intersection. The cemetary is, I think, about 2 miles from our house. Maybe less. It is just south of Keat Miller's home. I believe Billy's uncle, Ted Miller owns the property.

CrumCowgirlMama

There is also an old school house about a half mile from our house, or Rock Road. It sets on the corner of Rd. 14 and Quail. Dan tells us stories all the time about going to school there. Maybe it was a church at one time?

Wilma

Now I have more reason to travel up that road.  Have to come see your new house.  Did you know there used to be a church on the northwest corner of the intersection of Rock and Rd. 14?  I don't remember the name of it, but I will bet Dan does.

CrumCowgirlMama

I know that there used to be a low water bridge at this intersection. I'll have to search around our parcel and see if I can find any thing that looks like remains of an old church. Probably not, but it will sure give me something to do! Thanks for the info. Wilma, it sure gets me excited to find out some things about the place where I live.

Wilma

My folks lived on, I think Rd. 9, 2 miles south of the Cresco Cemetery road and we lived in Severy.  Everytime we went to my folks, which was almost every weekend, we would take the Cresco Cemetery road west.  I know that area very well.  As a treat, we would sometimes detour through the countryside.  My folks had lived there since 1947, so it was many years that we had to get to know the country.  I say I think it was Rd. 9 because I am not used to the roads being numbered yet.  It is the road with the Forrest Cemetery.  My folks owned the corner south and on the west side of the road.  Now my brother owns it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk