Old Fashioned Box Suppers

Started by genealogynut, February 15, 2007, 08:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Do any of you remember when back in the days of one room schoolhouses, when they used to have box suppers?  That's where women fixed up a nice, attractive box supper, took it to the school function where it was auctioned off to help raise funds.  It was a tradition that the person who fixed the box had to eat with the highest bidder that bought her box. (That could be right interestin' with the young single guys and gals!)  Perhaps that tradition needs to be brought "back to life" and used as a fund raiser today in Elk County.  I think that would be nostaligic.  ( I can just visualize these younger women wearing full length dresses and bonnets, ha!ha!)

Janet Harrington

We did that once at Severy High School.  I just remember doing the auction and I kind of remember eating with someone.  Not sure who it was.  Don't remember what the fund raiser was for either.  Must have been exciting, huh?

Joanna

Could be Janet, or maybe you just don't remember as good as you used to  :angel:

Okay, we did a box supper in High School.  I don't remember much about it either...  I think it would be a bigger hit with a regular community group instead of a bunch of teens.  Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Teresa

We did that once.. Robert Sharp got mine..
And I was sweet on him at the time...  :)
But then the next week, if we had of had another one, I would have wanted Steve Ward to get it.
haha..

.ahhhh those good old days when there was so many boyfreinds and just not enough weeks.  :angel:
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Ms Bear

Part of the tradition of Box Suppers was for the young woman to put a small trinket in the box for the young man to keep as a remembrance of the occasion.  My great aunt gave my mother a set of small cups (smaller than a thimble) that are gold on the outside and white on the inside and very heavy compared to their size, that was in one of the boxes that my grandfather bid on.  The box dinner was made by the young woman that my grandfather dated or courted before he met and married my grandmother.  My mother has given me the cups and I cherish them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk