Sheriff Election

Started by Mcordell, March 27, 2016, 02:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wake-up!

Thanks for the information on a possible debate. How much room is available for non-students? Will recording devices be allowed?
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.

The greatest mistake in American history was letting government educate our children.
- Harry Browne, 1996/2000 Libertarian Party Presidential candidate

Mcordell

I know it's a public event and I assume it will be in the auditorium. I don't see why recording devices would not be allowed but I'm not organizing it. Of course this all hinges on Mr Hanks agreeing to do the debate

Ross

Quote from: Mcordell on September 28, 2016, 02:56:16 PM
I know it's a public event and I assume it will be in the auditorium. I don't see why recording devices would not be allowed but I'm not organizing it. Of course this all hinges on Mr Hanks agreeing to do the debate

Isn't that Sheriff Hanks, I believe he still deserves that respect as it is his proper title.

redcliffsw

Quote from: Mcordell on September 28, 2016, 10:19:44 AM
The seniors at West Elk, as a project for their government class, are attempting to host a public debate between myself and Doug hanks. It would take place October 12 at 2 pm at the school. I have accepted their invitation and they are contacting Mr Hanks to see if he is willing to debate me. It is my understanding they will not proceed with any event unless both candidates accept so we will see what he chooses to do. I've been asked if there would be another public forum and wanted to let everyone know the status.

A school project?  Looks to be out of place for a government school sponsor a political debate for candidates for sheriff. 

Wonder whose idea that is? 

Maybe the Sheriff will decline.

Mcordell

Quote from: ROSS on September 28, 2016, 09:27:34 PM
Isn't that Sheriff Hanks, I believe he still deserves that respect as it is his proper title.

Mr. Hanks is a perfectly respectful way to address another person. If I'm elected feel Free to call me Mr Cordell. I won't find it disrespectful since my title doesn't make me any better than anyone else.

Mcordell

Quote from: redcliffsw on September 29, 2016, 05:01:22 AM

A school project?  Looks to be out of place for a government school sponsor a political debate for candidates for sheriff. 

Wonder whose idea that is? 

Maybe the Sheriff will decline.

It's absolutely reasonable for a government class to be a part of the political process so long as the school isn't favoring one candidate over another. The purpose of a government class is to learn about government. That includes the political process. Maybe if you disagree you just choose not to attend. For someone who espouses a strong desire for individual liberties you have an ironic tendency to tell other people what they should or shouldn't be doing.

Wouldn't denying the seniors the right to partake in the local political process be the definition of oppression and tyranny?  If I said a group of people in the county had no right to be involved in politics wouldn't you diligently log on here to anonymously lambast me as a tyrant?

Ross

Quote from: Mcordell on September 29, 2016, 06:24:47 AM
It's absolutely reasonable for a government class to be a part of the political process so long as the school isn't favoring one candidate over another. The purpose of a government class is to learn about government. That includes the political process. Maybe if you disagree you just choose not to attend. For someone who espouses a strong desire for individual liberties you have an ironic tendency to tell other people what they should or shouldn't be doing.

West Elk requires senior students to attend school board meetings for class room points.
If you have ever attended there board meeting you would know, that they fail terribly at using Roberts Rules of Order as required in the boards policy's. What the students are learning is it's okay to fail as an elected official and to be sloppy and rude to the public. The teacher surely  has better resources for teaching proper protocol for a school board.  So what do they learn? Just asking. I would hope the students would learn all of their responsibilities involved in this debate endeavor.

I will attend if possible, and if it happens.

I must ask how come you are announcing this insrtead of the student's ?

This announcement should have been left to part of their education, don't you think?
After all, all projects have procedures to follow, right?

If the students have not yet acquired consent of both candidates to attend such a debate they would not proceed to announce the debate, especially the date.
Suppose the Sheriff is unavailable for that, but available on another date and you are unavailable on the new date?

Don't you reckon it would be best to leave the business of the debate in the hands of the students and their teacher for educational purposes instead of turning it into a political situation?

Wake-up!

I asked Mr. Cordell on this forum if he and Mr. Hanks would debate before the election. Mr. Cordell is responding to my query. You can be sure the public education morass will proudly announce such a debate, if it is scheduled. And just as proudly claim full responsibility for its inception.

The interesting point is Mr. Hanks apparent silence on the matter. The rumor around my corner of the County is that Mr. Hanks saw the primary election numbers, and sees the writing on the wall. Is his silence his way of retiring?

Yes, I hopefully just prodded Mr. Hanks. Gently. See, I want him to break silence. I want the debate to occur. And I think a second debate should follow.

But I want debates to have the public ask the majority of questions, not a bought and paid for moderator. Wouldn't you relish the opportunity to ask both candidates how they will address fraud and corruption in local government? Whether or not they would support a marijuana initiative similar to the one in Wichita that the State Attorney General just claimed to be illegal? Whether Mr. Hanks also supports the tenants of the Oathkeepers? Those three questions top my list.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.

The greatest mistake in American history was letting government educate our children.
- Harry Browne, 1996/2000 Libertarian Party Presidential candidate

Mcordell

I posted that I was invited to the event and the date I was given. I doubt the students utilize this forum and some people follow this forum closely so posting here helps to ensure their event is successful by getting the word out.

As to the availability of the sheriff, it's a Wednesday during the day. His employment is here. There are very few scheduling conflicts that could legitimately interfere with this event. If it is scheduled for a different date because of a scheduling conflict them I will be there because my commitment is to the people of this county and to this election. If I have a schedule conflict then I will rearrange to ensure I am in attendance.

Ultimately this event is on the hands of the students and their teacher but it is a political situation so I'm not sure what you are getting at. It's a political debate. If the Sheriff chooses not to attend and the debate does not proceed, I think the voters deserve to know that. Many people have asked for another forum since he chose not to attend the last one. His attendance or lack thereof to this debate is an indication of how much he respects the citizens and their vote.

Ross

Quote from: Mcordell on September 29, 2016, 08:25:19 AM
I posted that I was invited to the event and the date I was given. I doubt the students utilize this forum and some people follow this forum closely so posting here helps to ensure their event is successful by getting the word out.

You can only assume. there by possibly steeping on there toes. Assuring the debate has two people to debate and successfully promoting would all be part of the educational process. wouldn't promoting somefullything that is not fully set up a bit to assuming.

As to the availability of the sheriff, it's a Wednesday during the day. His employment is here. There are very few scheduling conflicts that could legitimately interfere with this event. If it is scheduled for a different date because of a scheduling conflict them I will be there because my commitment is to the people of this county and to this election. If I have a schedule conflict then I will rearrange to ensure I am in attendance. 

Once again you are assuming. You are assuming to have all the answers in someone Else's life. There far to many variables in each and every persons life. Suppose you  do have that day off and something happens that requires your boss change your or extend your hours at the last minute, what then?

Do you know every aspect of the Sheriff's life do you?
Do you know if he has a doctor appointment on that date?
Do you know if his wife has a doctor appointment on that date which might require hi presence?
Do you simply make decisions based on assumptions?
Like assuming the students don't use this forum, and assuming they don't know anyone that does or assume that they can not sign onto the forum when they are ready.

-
Ultimately this event is on the hands of the students and their teacher but it is a political situation so I'm not sure what you are getting at. It's a political debate. 

I believe, I made that quite clear above. The class students and their teacher and their learning process should be left to them including announcing their plans.  I doubt you asked for their consent to inject yourself into their business or you would have said so.

-
If the Sheriff chooses not to attend and the debate does not proceed, I think the voters deserve to know that. Many people have asked for another forum since he chose not to attend the last one. His attendance or lack thereof to this debate is an indication of how much he respects the citizens and their vote.

Why is that?
Just because you say so?
Based only on assumptions?
Isn't this post of yours only for political reasons.

If elected Sheriff of Elk County will you deal with people based on assumptions
such as the ones I have pointed out in this post?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk