Sheriff Election

Started by Mcordell, March 27, 2016, 02:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mcordell

So how do you balance these stated ideals with the fact you have openly supported the re-election of Doug Hanks who has accepted thousands upon thousands of grant dollars for the purchase of vehicles and equipment?  You claim to be opposed to such funding, however in practice it seems you are only opposed to it when it pertains to me and my campaign.  Either way, I wish you the best.  Also, click it or ticket started today so buckle up and drive safe.  I'm pretty sure the current Elk County SO is participating.

redcliffsw

Quote from: Mcordell on May 23, 2016, 11:48:29 AM
So how do you balance these stated ideals with the fact you have openly supported the re-election of Doug Hanks who has accepted thousands upon thousands of grant dollars for the purchase of vehicles and equipment?  You claim to be opposed to such funding, however in practice it seems you are only opposed to it when it pertains to me and my campaign.  Either way, I wish you the best.  Also, click it or ticket started today so buckle up and drive safe.  I'm pretty sure the current Elk County SO is participating.

Cordell,

How have I openly supported your opponent?  Based upon your comments, it appears to me that you and Hanks are balanced.  You're both open to accepting outside influence in the form of grant money.   Obviously, you're both government approved to be sheriff.  Government wins, we lose. 

I'm not interested in the governments' click it or ticket campaign.  It's un-American.  It's a fascist program and I don't think you understand that.  Again, government wins, we lose.

Mcordell

I wasn't referring to on the forum

Mcordell

Thank you. This was intended to be a place to discuss the election specifically and I would have preferred it stay in that topic but I'm always willing to discuss concerns with citizens. I appreciate you steering is back that direction  :)

Wilma

This thread is not the place for personal opinions and questions that do not apply to the subject.  It is shameful that some of you have turned Mr. Cordell's simple question and answer thread into a personal ranting thread.  Can't you forget your personal peeves long enough to move to another thread, preferably one of your own making?

Bullwinkle

I have to say, Mr Cordell, that you have moved up several rungs on my ladder. It only gave me pause when your postcard pictured you in what looked to me like SWAT gear. Iv'e always been partial to the image Andy Taylor portrayed as a small town sheriff  ;). He seldom carried a gun. I would not expect you to jeopardize your life or any other by not being prepared , however. I have seen a few studies that examined some of the racial reactions to police shootings and they concluded that the level of violence was higher because the law enforcement response was seen by many as a military like takeover.

The biggest concern I have with Doug is his health. He appears to have had some issues there. I do remember, however, him sitting down with a small child and helping him make out his Christmas list. That speaks for itself.

sixdogsmom

And I shall always remember that it was Doug who drove the ambulance at 80+ MPH trying to save my husbands' life by get in him to the hospital ASAP while the EMS crews from two counties worked on him. Then he sat with me until the pronouncement and waited until I had someone with me after that. I can never forget that , and Mr. Cordell I hope you read this with understanding. And I hope that you remember that we are all real people out here no matter what happens. I wish you the best sir. God Bless, Edie.
Edie

Mcordell

Bullwinkle,

My vest is definitely not swat gear but I do understand your point.  I think largely people see external vest carriers and wonder why on earth we as local law enforcement need such things.  What I can tell you from personal experience is, after over 12 years in law enforcement, wearing the Sam Brown style duty belt with all of the required gear on it can cause significant damage to the lower back.  My father was forced to medically retire from law enforcement due to irreversible damage to his back, exacerbated by the wearing of a traditional leather duty belt.  Our bodies were not meant to carry a great deal of weight around the hips, especially for extended periods of time.  Working 12 hour shifts there were days when I got home at the end of a shift and took my duty belt off and releasing the pressure from my lower back caused a great deal of pain.  This is not unique to me.  There are numerous studies online which have looked into law enforcement and the use of the Sam Brown duty belt and related injuries.  The number one injury sustained by law enforcement that leads to workman's compensation claims and medical retirements is lower back injuries.  These issues can be largely mitigated by getting the weight off the hips and onto a vest that distributes the weight evenly over the upper body. 

You may have noticed that law enforcement around the country has begun to move to an external carrier to accomplish the goal of reducing officer fatigue and injury rates.  Small agencies are not immune to these health concerns and in no way does the wearing of an external vest correlate to an increase in the aggressiveness of officers.  It is worth noting, my vest is no different than the external vest carriers you will often see Elk County Sheriff's Office wearing now and for the past several years.  Only recently have I started to see deputies in Elk County wearing a traditional uniform shirt with a concealed vest. 

I would also note, since I have begun wearing my external vest, I have noticed not once have I come home from a long overnight shift with back pain.  I can work an accident scene and be on my feet for hours and at the end of the shift when I take my vest off my back is pain free for the first time in years in law enforcement.  I am proof that implementing external carriers to distribute the weight of the gear we carry can dramatically impact officer safety, time off work for injuries, workman's compensation pay outs, and ultimately officers sustaining life long injuries which force them into early retirement.

I believe a little public education on the reasons for the vest would go a long way to remove some of the negative stereotypes associated with what people see as "militaristic gear".  Remember, the military didn't adopt the load bearing vest because it is intimidating or because it made soldiers more violent on the battle field.  The military adopted load bearing vests because it reduced fatigue and injuries in soldiers who carried heavy gear for extended periods of time.  The same applies to law enforcement even though we are not the military. 

If we get a chance to meet in person while I am wearing my vest, I would be happy to take it off and allow you to feel exactly how heavy all the gear is that we carry on our person each day.  Last I weighed the vest and gear (when I had a duty belt) it was nearly 30 pounds of gear.  That's a lot to carry for 12 hours!

Mcordell

Edie,

I'm truly sorry for your loss.  No amount of time takes away the pain of losing a loved one.  I'm glad you had someone there who comforted you and made you feel a little safer in that moment.  Sometimes one of the hardest things we in law enforcement do is to be there for someone in their time of loss. 

I never forget that we are all real people.  At the end of the day this is a community and we all have to do our part to leave it better than we found it.  In law enforcement we see people at their best and often at their worst but no matter what the circumstances, it is paramount that we treat people with respect and dignity.  I can assure you that is how I treat people and  you should expect nothing less.

Bullwinkle

I took my son to visit the Marine museum at Quantico right after it opened. It was one of the best I have seen. They had the pack that Marines carry into battle and you could put it on to experience what it felt like, unbeliveable. Not sure I could pack that gear today. I am no stranger to work related back problems, having had an epidural to relieve the pain from a disintegrated disk. You are completely right that the public needs to know what it is like to pack the gear. I believe the pack system in use then was the MOLLE , and the combat load was over 50lbs. They newer systems have been developed to accomodate body armor.

How much gear did you hump , Jarhead?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk