WHERE IS EVERYBODY

Started by frawin, February 20, 2016, 09:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullwinkle

Pure factual observation is hardly a personal attack. However, telling others to "stick it" is.

Diane Amberg

What others? Yer dreaming.

Jane

Diane, let us know who the others are that can "stick it'. To me that sounds kind nasty to the people on the forum.

Quote from Diane :
Hope the good people there have a wonderful day. The rest can just stick it. Who needs 'em?

Diane Amberg

Sorry. It was just a turn of a phrase, the opposite of "good" people. I've never said or suggested or felt that any of you are "bad," but some are unnecessarily rude....and to a lot more than me.
  I'm told to kick Joe Biden in the butt. I though it was meant to be funny, but if I was overly sensitive I'd complain wouldn't I? That could be considered rude since I know the man and have for many years. So what ?
As far as rude, that's pretty clear, why would anyone need to name names? They know exactly who they are. Just round up the usual suspects. ( That's joke too..get it?)
I think calling one's elected commissioner a liar is very rude, and very serious. Disagreement is one thing, have at it, but calling someone a liar is very rude and accomplishes nothing.

jarhead

I guess it's rude to name the name of who said things so I won't but the four quotes below, just a few of many, I think could be called rude too---but hey---only "corn pones" of Elk county can be rude. .
Always the victim---never the name calling, rude bully.

" We have had two tragedies here today and I'm in no mood to baby sit corn pone and company. Stick it in your ear or whatever other opening fits! Geeze what a piece of disgusting snot you are.

Go sit on a fresh cow pie.. You are both a waste of good oxygen.

That's about as "grew up in a barn" rude as one can get

What a doofus." 

Bullwinkle

What the . A "turn of a phrase"? Don't believe I've ever heard of that. Deflect all you want. Everyone knows exactly what was meant. Stick it, up your a**, f*** off and the like. Us corn pones, hillbilly s, or whatever you want to call us, will always call a spade a spade.

Diane Amberg

So what is your point? I said I'd not comment further and I've tried not to, but ya call me out, I'm likely to hiss and spit right back at you if you insult me.
I said I'd no longer turn the other cheek long ago. At this point I'd rather be a fighter back than a lily livered victim.  I will stand up for myself when I'm forced to. You decide. HA! Wanna stop all this? Stop with the veiled attacks. And I do mean all of you who are so mean spirited.
You know exactly who kept this going by trying to incite Red to fight me...It didn't work. Now you're going to have to try something else? Why not just let it go? I sure tried to. Enough already.
   Bull, not being black, ya can't call me a spade.   
Corn pone? Yer dern right, but ya carefully left out to what I had responded. I told you, I stopped turning the other cheek. Don't try to hold me to a standard higher than your own.
I don't especially want to call you anything ya don't deserve.... But it depends on how you act ,doesn't it? Why not let it go just to prove you can?

Bullwinkle

Black? I guess that is an east coast race card thing. The phrase was coined regarding a" deck" of cards.

I'll leave you to twist in the wind having put the noose around your own neck.

Diane Amberg

Nope. It started in the 20th century, on the east coast, mostly by KKK.(I think in Rising Sun Maryland which as been a hot bed ,now underground,of KKK activity.) Thank goodness it isn't used so much anymore. It of course still is used for the original meaning too. It can be a deck of cards or a gardening implement. I won't be led to respond to the other unnecessary comment.

Bullwinkle

Nope. You might want to do a little research before presuming to know all about something.

Case in point, the expression "to call a spade a spade." For almost half a millennium, the phrase has served as a demand to "tell it like it is." It is only in the past century that the phrase began to acquire a negative, racial overtone.

Historians trace the origins of the expression to the Greek phrase "to call a fig a fig and a trough a trough." Exactly who was the first author of "to call a trough a trough" is lost to history. Some attribute it to Aristophanes, while others attribute it to the playwright Menander. The Greek historian Plutarch (who died in A.D. 120) used it in Moralia. The blogger Matt Colvin, who has a Ph.D. in Greek literature, recently pointed out that the original Greek expression was very likely vulgar in nature and that the "figs" and "troughs" in question were double entendres.

"To call a spade a spade" entered the English language when Nicholas Udall translated Erasmus in 1542. Famous authors who have used it in their works include Charles Dickens and W. Somerset Maugham, among others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk