kafir corn

Started by W. Gray, January 24, 2016, 11:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

I agree with you and Wilma, I did not like it, and it did have a very Sharp odor. Myrna said her Father ate it to and she did not like the odor or the Taste. Each to his own, seems to me the people that I know or remember that liked it were older people. Wilma, when I said older People that did not include you, I know you are a little older than me, but I also know that you are Young at heart.

jarhead

Not too many years back there was a group, I think from the Buxton/ Fredonia area that met every fall on my grand fathers old farm in Upola and had a sorghum press and open vats over a wood fire they cooked the sorghum down. Upola Deb might know who they were, but might have been before she moved there. As a pup we ate lots of sorghum on pancakes and biscuits and I liked it . I hated the blackstrap molasses that my Dad liked though. It looked like road tar on a pancake and tasted worse. Sarge uses it to make dough bait for carp fishing---and in my opinion that's all it's good for. Looking back we all ate and used some weird things, by todays standards. When we got a sore throat, or the "skitters", it was chew on some slippery bark elm and if you didn't have that it was a spoonful of coal oil with a little sugar to get rid of that sore throat. If we got a cold it was drink Catnip tea. My sisters all hated it because they said it tasted like a skunk smelled but I loved it. Yet to this day I still pick catnip, dry it, and keep a good supply in the freezer. I had several cups of the good stuff just a couple weeks ago when I got a runny nose----and it cured me. I think if people went back to using some of those old Indian and homesteaders cures they would be better off today instead of pumping antibiotics for a common cold.
Like Wilma, I have ate popped kafir corn. It was almost like eating popcorn's half opened old maids---but smaller

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk