Any body know????

Started by Jane, November 26, 2015, 09:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Thanks Jane, I never did know who owned it. I think Rex's Grandfather and Grandmother owned a lot of  Real Estate in Howard and Elk County.

jarhead

Frank,
Forgot to say—Paul didn't learn much from hitting that rock and gouging a hole in his oil pan. He inherited a fair amount of Keefe land south of Elk Falls. My bro-in-law rented the pastures and many a time he would go out there and Paul would be slid into a rut and high centered in his car. Unless he got pulled out he would jack the car up and put rocks under the tires until he got out. Stub Durbin had the pasture to the west and no doubt had to help Paul a few times himself.

flintauqua

Sharing two and a quarter miles of fence-line with Paul was . . . what is the right word . . . challenging? unique? problematic?
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

frawin

Jar, I think my Brother-in-Law, Marion Jacot  rented some Pasture from Paul. Every time I Was out there Helping Marion, Paul would Show up, I would ask him how he was, he round say fine, I am here to count how many Cattle Mr. Jacot has in here, I don't want to many and I want to be sure he is paying me for all that he has in here. After he left, I would tell Marion what he said, That Jacot French Temper would Explode. Marion and Stub Durbin, were like Brothers, they went to Moline High School together, they remained lifelong friends. They had a few drinks together many, many times, and sometimes to much. They were a fun loving pair.

Jane

I guess my next question would be, who is behind getting Dollar General to Howard? It has declined in population over the last several years. Plus we have Batson and Cooksons, so who is bring it in?

W. Gray

Quote from: W. Gray on November 29, 2015, 09:52:29 AM
Someone started tearing that packing house down in the last few years. It took them a while. A good part of it has been hauled off.

I have not been to Howard since June 2014 and Google aerial image of June 2014 still shows a mess there from the debris.

According to the Howard Courant-Citizen the packing house closed in early April 1958.

November 2014 aerial view of the tear down.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jprxmkt

Paul's Bocquin's house was not given to the Catholic Church.  I believe it was given to the historical society. The house that was torn down for the Dollar General most recently belonged to George Gardner. It was south of the Bocquin house and just south of the fairly new large building David Perkins built.  After George passed away, his son has been living there until recently.

CruzManiac

Dollar General is bringing themselves in. It's called a free market. But I do know that a couple from over by Longton had been calling and emailing them for the past couple of years trying to get them to come to Elk County. Hard work always pays off!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk