Elk County Creeks

Started by W. Gray, November 19, 2015, 11:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

We have heard of the Elk County Creeks, such as Paw Paw, Wild Cat, Rock, Clear, Indian, Crooked, Wolf, etc.

Two questions
1.   Mouse Creek begins in the city limits of Howard. Where is it?
2.   What is the only creek in Elk County named after a person?

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Bullwinkle

Mouse creek at Elk and Wabash.

W. Gray

That is correct--and the beginning even has its own green and white street corner type sign.

Now what is the only creek in the county that was named after an individual?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Bullwinkle

How about Corum creek?  Or Schraders branch?

jarhead

W. Gray

Quote from: jarhead on November 20, 2015, 04:29:12 PM
Hitchen ??

Hitchen is correct.

The Elk County History has it has Hitchins or Hitchens. Wikipedia has it as Hitchen.

There is apparently a Little Hitchen Creek and a West Hitchen Creek.

In 1868, W. C. Hitchen was the first settler in the Longton area.

D.ElroyM.

This is my first post on the Forum, so I hope I am doing everything correctly......
Bullwinkle might be correct with the suggestion of Corum Creek. I think it was named after H.L. Corum. Part of the original town site of Canola was on land that he owned.

W. Gray

Quote from: D.ElroyM. on November 21, 2015, 01:49:14 PM
This is my first post on the Forum, so I hope I am doing everything correctly......
Bullwinkle might be correct with the suggestion of Corum Creek. I think it was named after H.L. Corum. Part of the original town site of Canola was on land that he owned.

Bullwinkle also mentioned Schraders Creek, which sounds like a person's name.

I am not familiar with either Corum or Schraders and got the information about Hitchen's Creek from an old 19th century newspaper article.

flintauqua

1885 Atlas has Schrader Branch as Cana Cr. and Corum Creek unnamed. 

1903 Atlas has Schrader Branch as Caney Creek, and it passes through land owned by Fred K. Shrader in Sections 11 and 12, T 31S, R 8E.  Corum Creek is still unnamed.

Neither creek is named on the 1927 property owners map of Elk County that I have.

Neither creek is named on the 1880-1890 era USGS maps.

Corum Creek appears on the 1955 Wichita 1:250,000 topo map, but Schrader does not.

Both are named on the 1962 Grenola 7.5 minute series USGS map, as Schrader Branch and Corum Creek.  That is the way they appear on current topographical maps.

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Delbert

Corum crosses 160 highway just a little more than a mile east of the road that goes into Grenola. Also cross it when you go from Grenola to the cemetery.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk