Found: Love Letters From World War II

Started by genealogynut, February 01, 2007, 05:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Now, Mother is going to be posting something shortly and I have already e-mailed Larry Hatteberg with this info plus the information from the Winfield Courier dated February 9, 2007.

Cool, huh?  Ties back to Larry Hatteberg.

Wilma

I heard back from Lorraine with some interesting information I want to share.  But I feel I need her permission before putting it on the forum.  As soon as she gives her permission, we will get it on.

Janet Harrington

Here is the e-mail that Mother's cousin, Lorraine, sent to Mother about Alice VanGundy.  I took the e-mail addresses out of the e-mail.  Lorraine Morton is talking about her mother, Helen Lowrey, who is Wilma's aunt by marriage.  The clipping in the Winfield Courier was in 1944.

To: "Wilma Weyrauch"
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 6:30 PM
Subject: Re: Elk County Forum

Mom had the clipping of Alice graduating from nurses training and a
picture of June Land and Alice in their Navy uniforms in a picture album.
June Land McClelland grew up across the road from Mom.

TheWinfield Daily Courier, Monday, October 2, 1944.

"The announcement was made this morning by Miss Dorothy Bixler,
superintendent of Newton Memorial Hospital, that the one hundredth
graduate of the school of nursing, Miss Alice Van Gundy of Moline
completed her training today, October 2.   Miss Mary Early, now Mrs. Merle
Hatteberg of this city, was the first graduate.  She completed her
training on October 15, 1931.  Miss Van Gundy is a cadet nurse.  Following
a brief vacation she plans to work at the hospital until her appointment
for a postgraduate course in obstetrics, early in the year.  She plans to
take her post graduate training at the Margaret Hague Maternity hospital
in Jersey City NJ."

The first graduate was Larry Hatteberg's mother.

(Mother's e-mail to her cousin, Lorraine, who lives in Winfield.)

Wilma Weyrauch wrote:

Imagine my surprise to find your name in a posting on our Elk County
Forum.  Seems you and your mother helped find an Alice Van Gundy, whose
love letters from World War 2 had been found by a member of our forum.
If you are interested just look for Elk County Forum and click on World
War 2 Love Letters.  We have had quite a time with it.

Mom70x7

QuoteThe first graduate was Larry Hatteberg's mother.

Janet - does Larry Hatteberg have that information? I think that would be a great tie-in for him.

Wilma

Janet said she was going to send it to him.  Janet, however, is too busy today to do any e-mailing until later tonight, so I hope she did it last night.

Janet Harrington

I did send that to him.  I don't think it will matter because Alice lives in Florida.  I don't think that Larry can travel out of state to do Hatteberg's People.  Anyway, I sent all the info to him and when I get home tonight, I will see if he answered me.  What I liked about Larry Hatteberg is that he did respond to me.

Ironsline

*** ROBERT E. KINYON FOUND ***

I just got off the phone with Doug Moe columists of The Capital Times newspaper in  Madison, Wisconsin.  He has run the article of Alice Van Gundy and Robert E. Kinyon love story and that he was from the Madison area and was wanting information about him.  Within a few hours he had located and spoke to Robert who lives in the Oklahoma City area.  Doug is doing a follow-up story tomorrow reference finding Robert.  Of note is that last spring Alice was in Stillwater, Oklahoma and was just 60 miles from where Robert lives.  What a small world.  See what Doug Moe wrote today.

http://www.madison.com/tct/opinion/column/moe/index.php?ntid=118735

Shawn  :police:

Wilma

This should hit the national news and when it does, remember you saw it here first.

Ironsline

I got the chance to talk with Robert and his wife, Joan of 53 years.  I would never have thought that I would have the opportunity to talk to two World War II veterans.  I found that Robert and his whole Marine platoon had scarlet fever and that is why he was in the Naval hospital for 5 months.  His wife was really nice over the phone and they both seemed very excited about all of this going on.  As I mentioned before, he is only 60 miles from where I live so one day I might get a chance to meet him.  Shawn  :police:

genealogynut

I think it would be terrific if Merle Hatteberg would do an interview with Alice and Robert in the same segment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk