BAUGHMAN, Loyd L. - b. July 12, 1921 - d. October 31, 2015

Started by patyrn, November 11, 2015, 10:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Loyd L. Baughman, age 94, died October 31, 2015 in Hugoton, Kansas.  He was born July 12, 1921 in rural Howard, Kansas to Thomas and Gladys (Loyd) Baughman.

Loyd graduated from Elk Falls High School in 1939 and then attended Southwestern College in Winfield, Kansas.  In July 1942, he joined the Enlisted Reserve Corps and was called up to active duty in March 1943.  He served as a P-47 armorer with the 368th Fighter Group in the European Theater in World War II.  He returned to Kansas in September of 1945, receiving an honorable discharge in November of 1945.  While teaching in Woodbine, Kansas, he met Joan Louise Poister, and they were married on December 27, 1949.

In 1959, the family returned to Longton, Kansas to teach and run the family ranch after the death of his father.  Loyd held the position of Postmaster in Longton for 20+ years before retiring.  He then continued to be an active Angus cattle rancher until a few years before his death.

Loyd was a member of the Longton United Methodist Church, VFW, American Legion, Elk County Rodeo Association, Experimental Aircraft Association, and the National Association of Postmasters.

Loyd is survived by his wife, Joan; his daughter, Janice (Bruce) Frahm of Colby, Kansas; his sons, Gary (Joyce) Baughman of Hugoton, Kansas, Charles (Margaret Froelich) Baughman of Dodge City, Kansas, and Kenton (Marcia) Baughman of Lincoln, Nebraska; grandsons, Johnathan (Teay) Frahm of Thailand, Karlyn Frahm of Colby, Kansas, Duane Baughman of Manhattan, Kansas, and Ethan (Christy) Baughman of St. Louis, Missouri;  granddaughters, Kendra (Jonny) Piening and Christine (Bobby) Truhe of Lincoln, Nebraska; great-grandchildren, Evelyn and James Baughman, Joshua and Vivian Piening, Aliyah Frahm, and Sophie Truhe; and sisters-in-law, Nadine Poister of Butler, Missouri and Carol (Gary) Williams of Hayden, Colorado.  He was preceded in death by his parents; his sister and brother-in-law, Marieta and Tom Mahon; and his brothers-in-law, Lyle Poister and Leroy Menges.

Cremation has been effected.  A military graveside service will take place at the Grace Lawn Cemetery in Howard, Kansas on Monday, November 23, 2015 at 11:00 a.m.  Memorials may be made to the Longton United Methodist Church or the Friends of Elk Falls for repairs of the Elk Falls Gymnasium.

(published in the Prairie Star - 11/11/2015)

frawin

Sorry to learn that Loyd had passed away. His Mother and Father were really super People.His Mother, Gladys, was a Loyd. She was elected as State Representative, for District that Elk Falls was in. His Father,Tom  was one of the best men I have ever known. When I was in the 7th Grade I lived on the Farm,NW of Howard with Toms Mother and Brother, Lee, I got up every Morning and Milked Cows before School. That ended when I was riding a Horse in the Pasture across the Road, and another came running up and Kicked at us and it Broke my Leg, when I looked Down the Bone was sticking out. I thought I was going to Faint, I didn't. I had to stop and get off the Horse and Open a gate, I made it to the House and My Mother came and took me to Dr. Lockett in Moline. He Pinned it, put it in a Cast and I went to School on Crutches. I remember how tough it was to get up and down all of those step Steps into the Old Grade School Building. When I was at Baughmans, Loyd and his Wife would Come Down from KState and Caponize Chickens for his Mother. My Mother-in-Law, Irene Buffalow Graduated from High School in Elk Falls, we took her every year to the Elk Falls Reunion, Loyd and his wife were always there. We would Reminice about the times he came and Caponized Chickens for his Mother.Rest in Peace Loyd and enjoy the time with your Parents.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk