GRAGG, Denzel Marie (Lyster) - b. April 18, 1909 - d. August 13, 1936

Started by genealogynut, February 01, 2007, 08:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant
August 20, 1936

Denzel Marie Lyster, oldest daughter of William C. and Lula Lyster, was born April 18, 1909 at Severy, Kansas.  When she was 9 years old, the family moved to the Antioch community northeast of Howard where she grew to womanhood. Her schooling was obtained at Merry Bell school.  At the age of 14 years, she united with the Antioch M. E. church and always attended Sunday School and took an active part in all the church and Sunday School activities.

On May 21, 1927, she was united in marriage to John W. S. Gragg at Eureka, Kansas.  To this union four children came to bless the home.

She leaves to mourn her departure her husband;  her four little children, Clayton Eugene, age 8, Johnna Lou, age 6, Clara Yetta, aged 4, and Wesley Warren, age 2; her father and mother; one sister, Mrs. Melba May; and two brothers Gale and Guy.  One sister, Wilma Christine, preceded her in death on February 10, 1930 at the age of 18 years.  Her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Lyster of Severy, Kansas and Mrs. Emma E. Henry of Severy, Kansas, besides her uncles and aunts and many other relatives and a host of dear friends, also survive her.

Mrs. Gragg was a true homemaker, and her first thoughts and consideration were always for her home and loved ones.  Her desires were always to inspire her children in the high ideals of life.  Her health had not been good for two years, but she was brave and patient and carried on for her family thinking always first of their welfare.  She was always in attendance with her family at her church and Sunday School when her health would permit.  At the time of her death, she was a member of the Young Married Peoples Sunday School class.

Her early passing came as a shock to her loved ones.  She passed away on Thursday, August 13, 1936 at 3 p.m. at the Basham Hospital at Eureka, Kansas after a major operation.

Funeral services were held at the Howard Methodist church, Saturday, August 15, 1936 at 3 p.m., conducted by the pastor, Rev. H. R. Weed.  Burial was in Grace Lawn Cemetery, Howard, Kansas in the family lot by the side of her sister.

The pall bearers were Marvin Stanley, Glen Jontra, Virgil Hawkins, John Parker, Allen Forsyth and Mike Ingle, all members of her Sunday School class.

genealogynut

This would be a grandmother to Larry Gragg and his sisters, Rita, Janice and Linda.

hhjacobs

Her daughter Johnna Lou, lives in Longton or  Elk Falls I don't know her last name, but I do know she had a daughter and named her Denzel and a son Roger Their last names are Farra. The spelling on that might not be right. Roger use to come to see my sister Nadene.
My dad says Johnna Lou's name is now Martin.

genealogynut

In some ways, this is a small world.   But seems to be big enough for Bin Laden to do a disappearing act.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk