What material was used to make this necklace?

Started by Janet Harrington, January 23, 2007, 06:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

My Mother's sister, June, sent Mother a picture of a necklace that she said brought $45.00 on eBay.  I am attaching the picture to have any of you guess what material was used to make the necklace.  I don't have a clue.  Mother knows, but she won't tell me.  She will give up the answer after we have some guesses.

Joanna

well, I'm sure I'm wrong, but it looks like spaghetti noodles to me.

Wilma

Maybe Marty knows.  I'll bet Marjean knows, too.

indygal

I think they are the rings sewn onto fabric to make cafe curtains. (The rod slides through the rings at the top of the material.)

OR ....they are really large, really dry Spaghetti-o's that have had all the tomato sauce rinsed off.

I'm sticking with my first guess.

hhjacobs

It looks similar to a necklace I had from Avon but not. It was metal and it felt rough to touch. This one looks rough too.

Henry thinks it may have somrething to do with farm machinery.

P.S. He's nuts!

Wilma

Henry is closer than anyone else.  I'll give you a clue.  Think birdbanding.

Joanna

Marty found a picture of these things in one of his farm catalogs.  Says you can buy 100 of them for between $6 and $10 (not the necklaces, the rings)  I wouldn't have thought to string them together like this though!  HA!

Wilma

What did the catalog call them?  I know what we used to call them, how they were used but not why.  I will give my answer later today.  My sister wondered if they were still available.

Wilma

The time has come for disclosure.  Listen close, Janet.  The rings are what we used to call chicken rings.  They were placed on the legs of chickens to mark them.  Why the chickens were marked, I don't know.  Perhaps to keep Pa from killing a laying hen for chicken and noodles or so the laying hens wouldn't be carted off to market.  I could tell you how to cull a flock to see if the hens were laying or not but will have to be coaxed into that.

My sister said that of the people she sent the picture to, I was the only one that knew what the rings were.  Kind of ages a person doesn't it?

Joanna

They are called spiral leg bands.   I have them in a Nasco Farm & Ranch catalog in red and blue and in 3 sizes.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk