Jet crash oward

Started by Ross, October 20, 2014, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Good going, Flint.

I recall that I could not wait to talk to my uncle, the barber, about it. I do remember we discussed it in his shop at a later date but I did not retain any of the details.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

I sure aint positive but I think that 89 crash was just a tad east of Busby cemetery---which would be south of Fall River. Janet would know for sure.

IGDenton

There was a accident west of Howard in the early to mid 70's. It was a training exercise my Grandfather Guy Denton was involved in. A pilot lost control, crashed, and was killed. I'm not sure of the date or what planes they were in, I know grandpa flew a few different plane during his time in Air Force / Guard. I'm sure he flew F-100 and F-86's. May be someone else can recall this?

W. Gray

Ahh, now, this is making more sense. I was sort of taken aback when '89 was mentioned. But thought that due to all the senior moments I have been having lately, that was the year.

I originally thought the crash I was thinking about was before I went to work at McConnell in 1975 and thought the crash might have been in the sixties.

I also seemed to remember the pilot was killed.

That seems to bring up another question or observation: Is there a "Bermuda" Triangle in Elk County, which is bringing all these aircraft down around Howard?

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

One of our channels explained to us last night about why these planes are in this area.  There is an area east of Wichita and somewhere east of Elk County that is designated as an area for practice flights.  McConnel and the base in Oklahoma both use this area and are restricted to this area.  Sure wish I could remember what it was called.  It extends north quite a ways and of course south.  Commercial flights stay out of it.  Maybe some one more proficient than I am can figure out what I am talking about.  It was the first time I had heard of it.

redcliffsw

In about 1967 there was an AF jet crash about 8 or 10 miles west of Howard.  Can't remember if the pilot lived.  I saw the site on the west side of the county road.

Nancy

You are right it was in the late "60's. Also one in the 80's north of Piedmont.

Wilma

Janet tells me that the crash west of Howard in the 60's killed the pilot.  She got it from an eye witness.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk