gas prices around the state

Started by emptynest, January 13, 2007, 09:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emptynest

I keep noticing the gas price chart when I log into this site.  That is a neat feature, by the way.  I am amazed at the lower gas prices just 2 hours from here. (Topeka)   WOW! Wonder what it takes to get those low prices around here? In about 4 days, I have to travel that direction and am thinking about loading up every gas container I can find, just to get some extra "cheap" gas. 

Even 12 miles to our north, at Tripco, that gas price could be 3-5 cents cheaper.

Just wondering........

Teresa

Kjell and I just got back from Tulsa the other day and we paid $2.05 a gallon. Oklahoma is always cheaper on gas.. but their dang sales tax on other items will bite you in the rump when you shop in the state.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Joanna

It makes sense if you're going somewhere to gas up there if it's cheaper, but it's never worth an extra trip just for gas.  If the price difference was 5 cents and you need 15 gallons, that's only 75 cents savings; and how much gas does it cost you to get there and back?  Probably at least one gallon for a 20 mile round trip, not including your time and wear on your vehicle.  Plus all the high priced snacks you pick up since you're already stopped...  Oh, that's just me... ;)

I worked with a guy that owned a gas station.  It cost him at least 3 cents a gallon MORE than it cost the stations 10 miles away (on major highways) to get gas delivered to his tanks (I don't know the total cost).  When they're only making a few cents on each gallon, they have to pass that extra cost on.

Anyhow, our gas here always seems reasonable to me, compared to the prices when I go visit my folks in Eureka, the kids in Manhattan or Pittsburg, or my brother in KC.  It isn't cheap ~ I know that ~ but it's not cheap anywhere really.  Just one more reason for me to learn to be more economical I guess.

Teresa, I agree with you about the sales tax in OK.  It's extra high in a lot of places and it's almost a "hidden" cost to shopping.  I never think about it till it's time to pay.  Maybe there's an internet site to look up sales tax in different cities & states?  Oh well, something to think about.

Janet Harrington

One reason that Kansas has higher gas prices than Oklahoma is because of the fuel tax.  Our Kansas fuel tax is high.  That's how we get our new roads.  I, for one, am grateful for the new K-99 highway that we are now driving on.

Small stations, such as Lannings, have to pay a higher price for the gas.  I know that Bill pays more for his gas than P and J does.  That is why Bill has to charge a little more.  Another factor is that the owners pay whatever the price is on the day they get the gas, so gas goes up and down accordingly.  Penny can have a little cheaper fuel as she buys more, plus her drawing card is the store.  If Penny can get you in the store to buy stuff, she can keep her prices lower than Bill's.

Okay, enough of my so-called knowledge.

emptynest

I really don't mean to complain---if I am concerned about the fluctuation in gas prices, it must be that I am blessed with a car and the ability to drive.  Some don't have that. So I need to curb my complaints.  And I am also thankful that we at least have sources locally to get gas.  Some don't have that in their small towns.  And since I travel everyday, I am also thankful for the new K-99 on which I drive 5 days a week. And, since I am listing my own personal blessings, I guess it is a blessing that I am being sent towards Topeka this week for a training course and will be in the area that has the cheapest gas prices in the state!  I'll try not to blow it by buying those expensive snacks, though, Joanna!  THanks to all for the input and knowledge and making me look in the mirror.  I need to do that more often.

Wilma

I have been buying my gas at Lannings in spite of the higher price.  I get better mileage with it than I do with the cheaper gas.  My old 1996 Town & Country tells me that it is getting 24 miles to the gallon.  I have made 2 trips to Wichita since the last time I filled it.  Besides Patsy is one of my other daughters.  She and Janet went all the way through school together.

Joanna

Emptynest, I didn't think you were complaining, just bringing up a new subject.  For some reason it caught my attention and since I was bored... very bored... I jumped in with both feet. Sorry if I sounded like I was lecturing or anything ~ goodness knows I do my share of complaining about gas prices ~ it's probalby why my friend with the gas station told me about his delivery cost issues in the first place ???  Oh, and have a fun time in Topeka, even if you do have to learn something while you're there. :laugh:

emptynest

Joanna,

THere was no offense taken at all. I need to be reminded of a few of the facts, which is good.  Believe me, if I wanted to go live in a cheaper gas area, I'm sure I could, but Elk County/Howard is my chosen stomping ground for many reasons.  It has everything I need, and if not, then I need to do something about it.  And even traveling to cheaper gas prices will still make me glad to get back home.  Please don't think I was offended. Not at all.  Want me to bring you back something from Topeka/Lawrence/Kansas City area?

Joanna

Quote from: emptynest on January 13, 2007, 06:37:47 PM
It has everything I need, and if not, then I need to do something about it. 

I like your attitude!  That's basically the way I feel about it too. 
I don't need anything from the city right now unless you can fit a nice 2 or 3 car garage in your trunk...  Thanks for asking though.  Enjoy your trip!

genealogynut

This morning we paid $2.00 per gal. for gas in Caney.  It was $2.06 in So. Coffeyville, OK and in Independence it is $2.07 a gal.  The highways were pretty decent to travel on.  But the streets in Coffeyville, Chetopa, and Oswego were the PITTS.  Independence didn't seem too bad going thru town.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk